My cousin has son who is diagnosed with hypothyroidism. His doctor prescribed him some drug to treat his condition. I guess this is right thing to do, but I would like to hear more about it. Could you tell me is Thyroxine appropriate medicine for such a disease? I would like to get some info about this problem.

Thyroxine is used as thyroid hormone, in conditions such as hypothyroidism. This medicine is primarily indicated for the treatment of hypothyroidism, which regers to an under-active thyroid gland. In this case, Thyroxine is used as replacement therapy in people having a lower thyroid function than normal. Treatment with Thyroxine is usually long term as it is replacing thyroid hormone the body is not producing. The dosage is usually adjusted according to response and blood test results doctor should perform. Patients with heart disease should start the medication cautiously on a low dose. People with adrenal insufficiency, women who are breastfeeding, or people with thyrotoxic crisis should be careful during therapy with Thyroxine. Side effects of Thyroxine treatment usually reside after a dose reduction is made by your doctor. Overdose might results in excess irritability, confusion, sweating and other side effects. I want to tell you also that Thyroxine increases the effect of warfarin, tricyclic antidepressants and amiodarone.