I have put on a lot of weight recently - over the last year or so, I have added four jeans sizes. It all started when I gave birth, and started breastfeeding. I actually lost a little weight when I quit breastfeeding, but I am still way bigger than I was before. Let me be clear that I am not talking about baby weight. This is all weight I gained after I had my baby. A friend of a friend, whom I happened to chat to about all his suggested I might have an underactive thyroid. Are the symptoms I am describing side effects of an underactive thyroid?

Yes you could very well have hypothyroidism. It is very common and is also common after child birth. There are many symptoms of hypothyroidism though nobody has them all, usually each person will have a select few of the possible symptoms. For example fatigue and foggy thinking are very common. Some people will have weight gain, some depression, some hair thinning. The list goes on. See your doctor and ask to be tested, its a very simple test.