I am new here and hoping I posted this in the right place, skincare as opposed to thyroid issues? I have hyperthyroidism and have suffered from increased skin pigmentation, which I know can be related to hyperthyroidism as well as hypothyroidism. What I am not sure about is what to do about it. It looks embarrassing and I would love to be rid of it if that is at all possible. Can I try with creams or are laser treatments etc necessary to solve my increased skin pigmentation? 

If you have any experience please post, I really don't want to have this problem forever.

The thyroid does make hormones that affect the skin. People with hyperthyroidism can see a range of effects including a more moist and smooth skin, hives, itching, and yes, increased pigmentation. Graves disease can even lead to vitiligo. Even if you take adequate medication, these skin problems can sometimes persist. There is no easy answer. Your doctor and perhaps a dermatologist you see separately should help you find the treatment regime that works for you, and you should always keep a close eye on new skin issues making an appearance.

I understand why you've come here to ask this question... I often think when I read a post, "Just Google it, yeah?" but well, that's what I did and like zero info shows up other than the useless, cause you already know, yeah, hyperthyroidism can cause hyper pigmentation. This leaves me basically assuming that hyper pigmentation caused by hyperthyroidism is treated in the same way as other types. Mind you, hyper pigmentation in general is tricky as ^%#$ to treat, and it's difficult to find info even about that. And contradictory info ain't hard to come by either of course... leave this one to your GP or specialist I say 'cause they'll know what to do. Good luck. 

Celebrity

Is it melasma that you have? I know this to be associated with some types of overactive thyroid. Melasma is definitely hormonal, and as already said, the thyroid is involved in hormone production. Things like the pill can also trigger melasma, for instance. Hydroquinone, corticos­teroid, and tretinoin are all treatments that help some people with melasma. Kojic acid is a more natural treatment, look up kojie san soap. Chemical peels can also help some people with melasma. I am no expert, so I I do not know whether all these treatments are safe for people with an overactive thyroid. This is something that you will have to discuss with your healthcare provider. 

Rosie

Sorry, but hyperpigmentation is INCREDIBLY hard to treat! Even dermatologists will say, while offering expensive treatments like fraxel laser, microdermabrasion, TCA peels, Obagi Blue Peels, and others, that results just aren't very impressive. You can try of course but it's $$$$. Whitening creams, already said, are just not generally safe for the skin. If I were you, I'd look in to a REAL good concealer like the type used for films and performance, or especially for people with medical issues like this. That's heavy duty stuff you can go swimming with and that lasts more than one day, even up to a week I think, and that's almost impossible to get off.

Ooooh, that reminds me. There's been this vid going around the web, on Facebook and stuff, where a chick covers her foot tattoo completely, well half of it to show the difference. It's called something like how to cover up a tattoo with cheap cosmetics or something. The thing she does besides using like a serious ton of both primer and hairspray (!!!) to fix the stuff, well, she has this bright orange eyeshadow and applies layers and layers and layers to her skin, fixing it with that hairspray each time. Then on top goes just normal cheapo foundation. Several layers, again, tons of hairspray. By the end of the vid, the tat's gone. Not saying it can help you or won't irritate the skin on your face yeah, but you could check it out if you're interested in the makeup thing and don't want to spend a fortune. It was pretty impressive and may just help for your hyper pigmentation issues as well.