For lack of a better description, I have "yellow spots" under my eyes. They do not wash off, but they are not acne either, they are in the skin as it were. I have had them for at least a year. Foundation covers them up, but I don't always want to have to wear that. Without foundation, I just look weird. A little like freckles even, but they are not freckles either. 

What could they be, and more importantly what could I do about them? I am assuming there is something I can do to make them go away at this stage. 

Thanks! :)

Is there any chance that you are dealing with cholesterol deposits, AKA Xanthelasma? Those manifest as yellow spots, frequently under the eyes. Regardless of what is causing the yellow spots under your eyes, I would be checking in with my family doctor pronto if I had those, but in your case if they are Xanthelasma then I'd ask to have my cholesterol levels checked first and foremost. Xanthelasma can be removed by a dermatologist but you would still want to address your underlying cholesterol levels.

Good luck!

A lady who attends my sports class has this kind of cholesterol desposit thing, and as far as I'm aware they are not flat at all under any circumstances, and look more like, well, like something's been injected underneath them, you know? They're also generally on the upper eyelids and not under the eye. So with that in mind, I went googling and it's remarkably hard to find causes of that kind of thing, so I can see why you came here to ask people about it. Could it be that you're dealing with sun damage or sun spots or whatever those are called?

Hello again,

Thank you for your quick replies, both of you! I do hope that I don't have high cholesterol or anything like that. I am approaching 40 now and well, I do admit that I have a bad diet but I don't know if that would cause this kind of thing. I am off to look around whether those spots match what I have. That sounds scary. It definitely makes me want to check in with a doctor.

Sun damage? Could be that too I guess. Thanks, I will look that up too.

Bye!

Hello again,

I looked up pictures of Xanthelasma on Google Images since you posted that I may have this, and looked up information on Google as well. Xanthelasma looks nothing like what I have under my eyes. With Xanthelasma, you are apparently talking about cyst-like lesions clearly filled with something, and some of them are quite big. Mine look absolutely nothing like that. They are not raised, just part of the skin, really, it's just color. Any other ideas what could be causing the yellow spots under my eyes?

From your description, I am almost certain that you are dealing with sun pigmentation. That is flat and yellow and often located where freckles would be if you had freckles. You don't need to have been a sunbed customer for 20 years to fall victim to sun pigmentation. However, if you do have it, it is a warning sign that you need to be very careful with your skin in order to prevent skin cancer. I would be heading in to see a dermatologist to get a definite diagnosis if I were you. Better safe than sorry.

Besides sun damage and cholesterol deposits, which have already been mentioned here, rarer causes of the skin turning yellow in places are an excess of beta carotene, and liver disease. If you eat too many carrots or other fruits and veggies that contain beta carotene, your skin can turn yellow or orange, but only if you are really, really overdoing it. Liver diseases can also turn your skin yellow. That is called jaundice. 

Maybe this is not what you came here to hear, but I too am with other people and I think you need to see a doctor. If it is harmless, you will be relieved, and if not, you can get treated. 

Hey,

I noticed that nobody suggested that you could have melasma yet, so I thought I'd add that as a possible diagnoses. It's true that it can look brown in some people, but in others it does look yellow, and under the eyes is one of the more common spots for melasma to appear.

This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as sun damage, pregnancy, hormonal medication including the birth control pill, some other medications and even a low thyroid.

In any case, since you have a skin problem you don't know what the cause is, I would definitely see a doctor. If it is indeed low thyroid, well, you need some medications for that.

Simple sun damage is my first guess here. I've spent more than my fair share of time in the sun and I too have these problems with yellow spots under my eyes. I started using a hyaluronic acid serum that also contains tea tree and vitamin C (by Body Merry) a while ago and besides making my skin feel super soft and renewed, the yellow spots under my eyes are also now less prominent. I'd advise you to look into using something like that and seeing if it helps at all. My guess is that it will.