Hello. I'm 34 year old female and I would like to find out is there any connection between my acne problem and some conditions concerning my thyroid gland. I'm suffering from acne at least five years now and I haven’t had them since I was teenager then- they again started to show. I have tried at least twenty different skin lotions and anti-acne products but nothing was helping me. I become desperate! A good friend told me that this acne problem could be related to hyperthyroidism and that this could be the reason why they don’t respond to adult acne treatment. Does anybody know anything about this? How to recognize this hyperthyroidism?

Hello. I have just read your post and it has made me thinking about it. I didn’t know a lot about this thyroid condition but I have read some interesting stuff.
Your friend was completely right- among many possible symptoms of hyperthyroidism is also a hair loss, acne and oily skin. Other symptoms include fast heart beats or palpitations, shortness of breath, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, restlessness, shakiness, tremor, irritability, feeling warm and increased sweating. These acne don’t respond to any skin treatment and that’s why the reason of hyperthyroidism must be cured first I order to cure them.
If you experienced any of these symptoms- contact your endocrinologist.

aldrete wrote:

Hi there.
Recently I was diagnosed with grave's disorder(hyperthyroidism) and unfortunatly I am dealing with acne problems as well.I'm 37 yo and until 10-12 months ago never had any skin prbs or acne of any sort.Just as you ,I've tried different expensive skin care products but none worked so I thought must be some hormonal disorder or so.I went to see the doc and after a few tests voila' it showed that i have an overactive thyroid so now i know for sure that hyperthyrodism could cause acne or other skin conditions.I hope that once I'll be on medication my painful pimples and ugly white heads eill be gone!
Hello. I'm 34 year old female and I would like to find out is there any connection between my acne problem and some conditions concerning my thyroid gland.
I'm suffering from acne at least five years now and I haven’t had them since I was teenager then- they again started to show. I have tried at least twenty different skin lotions and anti-acne products but nothing was helping me.
I become desperate! A good friend told me that this acne problem could be related to hyperthyroidism and that this could be the reason why they don’t respond to treatment. Does anybody know anything about this? How to recognize this hyperthyroidism?

....thank God. I thought it was just me! I just found out my T4 was "4"!! and I've been having the worst painful acne on my face, back, neck and chest. Does anyone know if it'll go away once my thyroid levels are at a normal level? And is there anything I can do in the meantime?

I also thought it was just me too, uuuggghh I hate it, it is such an embarrassment. face back neck chest and sometimes when I get a thyroid storm I get it bad behind my ears. It gets some what better once you are on the medication, but still continue with your normal products again. I like oily of olay for blemishes 7 complete. It is amazing and doesn't dry out my skin :)

Yes! You might want to try to get checked for P.C.O.S. it has been linked to thyroid problems in women. Polycystic ovarian syndrome causes a hormonal imbalance that can cause acne. I happen to suffer from both. I have done research and spoken with doctors as well. The only cute for PCOS is birth control and not all birthd control will treat it, only certain types. So see your GYN about PCOS.

I've been being tested for hyper/hypo for four months due to a 4cm nodule...that has since burst. I experience a breakout once a month usually...two or three zits at most. Since I've discovered this nodule? It has been horrible! My skin is super oily and I can't count how many pimples I have on my face and chest. And there's no clear period...it's been like this for the full four months. 

im convinced my thyroidectomy disarray is the culprit. I eat healthy and there's no other reason for my skin to be in this condition. I can't stand it. 

I'm a 25 yo female, by the way.

Yeah Tired. Itchy skin.. aches and extremelemergency Weight loss. .

I started getting cystic acne in the months leading up to hyperthroid symptoms that finally got me to a doctor. When my levels became normal with methimazole, my skin became break out free. When my levels become more hyper again, the zits and cysts return. Seems connected to me.

I have hyperthyroidism as well and I'm 48 years old. My acne is worse now than when in my teens. I need to find something to help because this is so depressing to have.

I noticed that too. Normal levels=no cysts! It was amazing but closer to my period I start getting super large cysts around my chin/neck area again. This month it's the most they've ever come back. Idk if to call my doctor, or is t like we just have to deal with near our period having a lot of cysts/feeling mild symptoms again.

I am so happy to read this post! For the last couple of months I have had terrible acne especially on my chest, back & neck - as a 42 year old it's not fair (actually it's not fair at any age). Last week I was diagnosed with a relapse of Graves disease. From reading this thread it seems that they could be tied together. Hopefully once my thyroid function returns to normal so will my skin (summer is only 2 months away so it better happen quickly).