Hi, folks. I am diagnosed hyperthyroidism several months ago. I have experienced recently some palpitations. I didn’t have any heart problems before. I wonder whether my thyroid disease could be causing these palpitations. What do you know about this? Thank you all for replying to my post. This will mean a lot to me.

Hello. High levels of thyroid hormones affect hear functioning as well. In hyperthyroidism sympathetic autonomous nervous system is hyperactive. And this nervous system has an important influence on heartbeats. Very often these patients suffer from tachycardia. It is a presence of more than 90 heartbeats per minute. 5 to 10% of hyperthyroidism patients have arrhythmias. Those are irregular heartbeats. If you sense this, you should report it to your doctor. He will know what to do. Good luck!

I HAVE HYPERTHYROIDISM, AND HEART PALPITATIONS WERE MY FIRST SYMPTOMS. I HAD THEM FOR YEARS BEFORE GETTING DIAGNOSED, BUT I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS NORMAL FOR ME. BUT THE DOC. SAYS IT IS A HUGE SYMPTOM!

Well, since 2008 my "unconventional" doctor, supplements me with bio-identical hormone because he said I suffer from hypothyroidism, I didn't have any irregular heart beats and my sympathetic autonomous nervous system was a wreck. My T4 was 1.2 out of 0.8-1.8 Range, and my T3 was 299 out of 230-420 Range. So I supplement for a month at 1 grain to start with, and a month later I tested again and T4 was 1.2 again, and T3 was 321, so a few points more.
A year and a half or so later I have more and more symptoms of irregular heartbeats. I am now taking 2 1/2 grain and got tested again; my T4 is 0.9 out of 0.8-1.8 Range and T3 is 320, so that hasn't changed and my nervous system stabilized. So the test reveals that in two years that I've started with 1 grain up to 2 1/2 grains, I am the same in T4 (actually a bit less) and T3 that I was two years ago! That suggest to me that in fact, by supplementing the thyroid my gland was able to maintain a level within a normal range, which means that I am hypo and not hyper.

So WHY do I have now irregular heartbeats which suggest hyperthyroidism? I mean, I'm 5'11, skinny and the nervous type and I have kick ass workouts (when not tired ;-)). Before taking the thyroid I didn't experience some irregular heartbeats...

This whole thing is driving me crazy not to know for sure what is going on. I mean the tests results are there. This contradiction about irregular heartbeats associated with hyper type but instead being hypo type doesn't make sens to me.