Hello everyone

Anyone who has ever wished for fairer skin and has used and/or looked into skin lightening creams, which are on the market in abundance, has almost surely also read about their potential adverse effects, including skin dryness, pigmentation damage and even cancer.

There are also other treatments like laser treatments on the market offered at cosmetic salons and plastic surgery clinics that promise that fairer skin can be yours without those worrying side effects for you to wonder if the effect of fairer skin is worth it for you.

The question is do these skin lightening procedures truly work? Experience? Please get in touch here.

There are actually two types of laser skin lightening, surface lightening that gets rid of the damaged top layer of the skin, and laser treatment that goes deeper beyond the surface. The former is aimed mainly at people with sun damage or melasma. PDL, Erbium, and Nd:yag are types of lasers used for skin lightening.

If you just want fairer skin, well, I would watch out. These procedures do have side effects. The long term ones include scarring, changed texture of the skin, and irregular lightening, so more in some patches than others. Unless your skintone is already uneven, it is a gamble.

Celebrity

Hello guest,

Laser skin whitening, which is either ablative or non-ablative, comes with several distinct advantages that make the procedure rather appealing to a great many people. They are, notably, fast results, treating other flaws of your skin that you do not like at the same time, and being under the care of a professional rather than playing around with skin lightening creams which range from being known to have side effects to being known to cause cancer.

However, even with laser skin lightening, there are issues. Even if you can easily afford the treatment, which is of course the first issue, you may develop uneven skin tone with lighter and darker patches. This does not happen to everyone by any means but is still a risk you need to know about. During recovery, your skin will feel and look rough, and you may experience pain and itching.

Rosie

Hmmm... I could be wrong but I though skin lightening laser treatment was aimed at people with scars, sun damage, melasma, that kind of thing, and not meant for or effective for people who would like to go a shade or two lighter just because they want to. I could be wrong though, but I did read that skin lightening removes damaged skin and thereby then encourages the growth of new, undamaged skin. Your normal skin is not damaged so how could it be lightened in this way then? Correct me if I am wrong.

What is that? Is it making your skin lighter, what is it? What does it actually entail? If it is to make your skin whiter I think I am opposed to it because it seems to be a racial thing. Like Michael Jackson and all those people who have dark skin and want to appear to be whiter. I think that is a real shame, because people are beautiful the way they are. Michael Jackson went from a handsome boy to a freak show. Who would want to emulate that kind of thing? I imagine there are medical risks as well. Like maybe you can scar your skin or something?

From the initial post here, it appears like you wish to lighten your skin for cosmetic purposes and not because you have a skin pigment disorder. In any case, because nobody has mentioned this thus far, I did want to say that chemical peels are sometimes able to correct areas of hyperpigmentation as well as lightening the overall appearance of the skin.

The stronger a chemical peel is, the more likely you are to see a result of skin lightening. Lactic acid peels may help a tiny bit while TCA peels are more likely to offer skin lightening across the board.