Hi, there. I have been suffering from hyperthyroidism for several years. Lately, I feel I have irregular heartbeats. At first, I thought it was nothing, but now I am little worried. I wonder whether an irregular heartbeat can happen in hyperthyroidism. What do you think? I will gladly hear out your opinions.

Hi, there. Of course that irregular heartbeat can appear in hyperthyroidism. High levels of thyroid hormones affect heartbeats as well. Usually, people with this disease have more than 90 beats per minute. It is called tachycardia. However, 5 to 10% have irregular heartbeats. This is called arrhythmia. You should talk to your doctor to investigate this a little more. Perhaps he will give some medications for this. Please, let me know the results. Bye!

Hello there,

Since this condition can cause you so many different side effects I believe that you are not surprised that irregular heartbeat is just of of them. Arrhythmia is common condition in people, but mostly woman, who are diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Irregular working of your thyroid gland is affecting your hormone levels and these are affecting so many systems in your organism including beating of your heart (and it is common for people with hyperthyroidism to have increased heart beat and sometimes even 90 beats per minute).

You should inform your doctor about this changes on your next regular checkup (you should be checking your condition every six months) and see if he is going to prescribe some additional medications for this, which is most likely.