Hello ladies,

Can I get your opinions? I have these small whitish bumps under my eyes that look somewhat like freckled but they are a bit raised and if you try really hard you can feel them. I'd love to get rid of them if at all possible but before I go buying anything I need to know what they are first. Is it millia? That's what I found when I went on the web to look for what these bumps could be, but I am not really sure so I am hoping someone can give me their views about this. 

Thank you very much!

Ah, that does sound like millia, yeah. My niece had them on her nose and cheeks when she was a babe but it cleared right up, now she's four and ain't got nothing like that any more. Cause of that, I pretty much thought they were something babies got, but could be wrong. My sister was told they weren't nothing dangerous or anything so well, I guess you could leave 'em there but I can imagine they bother you and you'd rather they weren't there. I have no idea really how you'd go about trying to get rid of that. Hoping someone else has better advice for you.

Small whitish bumps under the eyes sure sound like millia - I'm not sure what else it could possibly be. They're filled with keratin, the same stuff that makes up your hair, and they are completely benign. Millia can be caused by sun damage, steroid creams and skin problems among other things. Honey and sugar scrub are meant to get rid of them but you can also get them zapped by beautician, which sounds like an easier and more long term solution to be honest. They are stuck in the deeper layers of the skin after all, so you could try home remedies but I am not sure if you will see success that way.

One thing to remember about millia is that they are under the epidermis. They are not something for which you can use a cream or a pill and you most definitely cannot squeeze them out. That would be like trying to squeeze a tattoo out, basically. You are talking about much deeper layers of the skin than whiteheads. Millia isn't something you should try to deal with at home, no matter what anyone else may tell you. Just go to a dermatologist. They can drain the keratin that causes the millia with a small needle. So don't go attacking your sensitive skin with peels and things like that because they will just damage your skin and not get rid of the millia.

Celebrity

If you want to help prevent milia and reduce its appearance:

• Do make sure you moisturize the area regularly with a product designed for the under-eye area.
  • Avoid using products containing silicone, which can make it worse. 
  • Gentle exfoliation is OK, trying to scrub so hard to make them go out isn't.
  • Stay away from anything that will clog the pores.
  • Don't pick at them.
  • Don't try to cut them out.
  • Glycolic acid is OK.
But most of all yes, you can get millia removed by a professional very safely so if you are not happy about having them, you can have it done and won't have to worry about them any more.

I honestly have no idea whether these things work, but I have them too and plan to try. Honey, oatmeal, and castor oil are all natural treatments that are said to help get rid of milia. Lemon juice too, and for some reason I am inclined to think that one has the most potential, because it dries the skin and opens the pores a bit. Tea tree oil is another one, but I've used that before for other things and I know what it's like - I'm not about to go putting it under my eyes, because I don't want it in my eyes. I'll let you know how it goes once I try some of this.

I hate to break it to you, but milia are in the dermis and nothing that you can put on your skin will make them go away. It just doesn't work like that, for the same reason tattoo removal creams do not work. Milia is harmless and I think actually quite charming. It does not look like spots at all. Having said that, there are cosmetic deep skin treatments you can undergo if you really want to eliminate milia, specifically excising the milia. Home treatments may make your face look better in general, that I do think. Honey is good for the skin in general, for example. But nope, it will do nothing for milia, just so you know...

So, I used to get milia extracted until I heard that it can cause long lasting damage to the skin. I have since stopped and started getting laser treatments instead. They still come back, I hate to say, but they have improved a great deal with so much less irritation following treatment. I would advise anyone who wants to get rid of milia that do not respond to salicylic acid to inquire about laser treatment as well. The side effects are less. No scars, no irritation, no redness.

Millia are essentially bits of skin that somehow got trapped inside with a new layer of skin forming over the top. Nobody knows quite what causes them yet, but it is clear that some people are very prone to developing them and others never get them at all. I get them, so I know that unlike what some people are saying here, creams that exfoliate the skin do sometimes make them go away. I'm thinking about salicylic acid in particular. If that doesn't work though, and sometimes it doesn't, then if you want to get rid of them you do need to get them extracted. That doesn't stop new ones from forming, but neither do you have a scar afterwards. This is definitely an option to explore if creams didn't help you.

The best way to get rid of millia, which yes are of course totally benign but don't exactly look attractive, is to get them excised. This is not a big procedure. A very tiny blade is used to open the pore containing the millium and after that, the area is gently squeezed.

The question then is how do you prevent new millia from forming? The best way is to use a salicylic acid wash in the morning every day, and to use retinol or retin-a in the evenings. This regime almost guarantees your millia won't come back and they haven't for me.