Hello! I have heard that hyperthyroidism can develop kidney stones. Regarding the fact that I am fighting against hyperthyroidism, I am very concerned about this. Please, tell me what I should to do to prevent this if this claim is true. I hope that you will be able to help me with this. Thank you in advance!

Hello! You should not be worried about this. In very rare cases hyperthyroidism can develop kidney stones. Regarding the fact that you are visiting your doctor because of your hyperthyroidism problem, you can once a year or twice a year do tests for early finding kidney stones. I think that this will be enough.

I developed kidney stones because of hyperparathyroidism. I wonder if that is the condition you mean? I've now had the parathyroid with the tumour surgically removed.

I might be one of those rare cases from the last post. I actually had kidney stones prior to my hyperthyroism diagnosis. This occurred within four months of each other. I never had any pain. My stones were "silent stones" and easily treated with lithotripsy. Many doctors have told me they are completely unrelated while my own research has discovered a correlation between the two. Once the thyroid levels are controlled, the chance of hyperthyroid causing stones is almost elminated. You should know, however, that there are many causes of kidney stones. If you have had a stone, have it analyzed by a urologist who can best prescribe a course of treatment (medication, dietary changes or additional testing for underlying causes). If you have no reason to believe you have stones, take a deep breath. The stress alone that you are creating over this is not helping any aspect of your hyperthyroidism. I hope this information helps.

I'm actually on here because my mom has hypothyroid and she's had kidney stones 4 times now. She is taking medication for her thyroid but the doctor says her body isn't warm enough so her medicine doesn't always work. It is interesting to me that thyroid problems cause irregularities in body temperature and yet the medicine for this depends on a certain temperature? Does anyone have any suggestions? Her doctor hasn't told her what type of stones they are and has not prescribed her any sort of diet either. Thanks

I was taking lots of Glocosomine/Chondroitin, which is full of shell fish. I think the shellfish (iodine) kicked up my normally hypothyroidism to a very high hyperthyroidism - did not sleep well & felt hyper. Then I started having kidney stones - passing one or some each month for the past 4 months.
I have now reduced the Glocosomine/Ch to one tablet a day, reduced my synthroid intake by about a third, and have reduced caffeine, fresh spinach, nuts and other foods that may cause kidney stones.
Have not had a stone in a month - hope this keeps up!

Try a cleanse once a month.  2oz of olive oil and 2 oz of lemon juice followed by a glass of water.  1/2 a lemon and glass of water every hour after that for eight hours.  It will help to dissolve kidney stones and pass if out before it becomes a huge problem. 

they are directly related and yur doctor for some reason wont want to tell you. go figure I have both and also the resulting loss of bone density. Go get help.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

My son was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 4. He had kidneys stones several times from age 6 thru 15. I havery been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism recently and was hospitalized 2 times in 2 months with kidney stones and found out I have a 2 inch cyst on my left kidney. I've recently been looking for information and find more symptoms related to thyroid than most articles say. Need a page with ALL the symptoms on it.

Does this really work and if so does the acid from the lemons cause you any problems?