I suffer from acne and blackheads and have acne scars from before all over my face to varying degrees. I have been interested in a face peel for a while now and keep hearing that Jessner peels are the best chemical peels on the market now, especially for acne scarring.

So far, I have never had anything like this done and I am a bit nervous. I want to find out all I can before going to a dermatologist (or who actually does a Jessner peel?). How much does it hurt, how long does it take, what is recovery like and what can go wrong?

Could anyone help here?

Celebrity

The experience of getting a Jessner peel can be expected to be uncomfortable. Your skin will tingle and perhaps hurt a bit, and "frosting" will occur, in which your skin turns white like icing on a cake. After that goes down, generally a few hours after the procedure, you can expect to be red for a few days, have peeling, some crusts can happen, and have dry and tight skin for a while.

You can't have a Jessner peel if you have been on Accutane in the last six months, were using retin-a more recently, have keloid scars on your face, active herpes, rosacea, and a lot of other things that can essentially be summed up as "anything that makes your skin unusually sensitive makes you unsuitable for a Jessner peel".

Rosie

The strength of a Jessner peel is that it is made up of 3 different components, which are salicylic acid, lactic acid and resorcinol. That last one is for acne so this explains with this medium strength peel is a good choice for people like yourself with acne. PP is right that Jessner peels are contraindicated in people who have been using some of the most effective acne treatments available over the last half year.
Those who are good candidates can benefit enormously. Jessner peels will smoothen out your skin, reduce acne scars, tighten pores, improve general skin tone, texture and appearance, and even sometimes help with melasma and other pigment disorders.
With something like that, which penetrates the skin fairly deeply, of course there's going to be downtime of around a week. It is worth it though. Your skin can radically improve. That is worth a short period of dread, isn't it?

My best friend had a Jessner peel done after years of struggling with severe acne, and I mean the most severe case of acne I have ever seen in person. She tried different things that ended up not helping her much. After the Jessner peel her skin was completely transformed. She did start on a new anti-acne diet as well afterwards to maintain the results, but it was the Jessner peel that changed everything. Yes, her skin did look red and a bit odd afterwards, but that would be compared to normal skin, not compared to the skin she had. I would highly suggest anyone with severe acne consider a Jessner peel just based on my friend's experience.

From what I read Jessner peels come with less downtime and greater results than other single ingredient peels, am I right here or missing something? I do think my skin could do with a good treat right now after a year of being swamped in work and breaking up with my boyfriend and generally not looking after myself as much as I could. Don't have acne, do have dunno, just like dull looking skin I guess would be the best way to describe it. Wondering now whether a Jessner peel could be the right ticket for me?

I had a Jessner peel for sun damage before after my dermatologist recommended it. Basically, a Jessner peel is a peel that combines several different acids, which are salicylic acid, lactic acid and resorcinol. This is a surface peel that allows you to improve your skin without too much downtime afterwards. You'll see some flaking and so on but nothing serious, and your skin will be "refreshed" but you will need more than one peel and Jessner peels do not address deep wrinkles and scarring and so on.

I was just looking Jessner peels up again actually 'cause I do feel my skin could do with a little something, and I wondered whether I'd be a good candidate for a Jessner peel. The cool thing here is that they've actually been around for over 100 years! Invented by some doctor Jessner of course. :) I had no idea that something that has been discussed in online beauty circles in a pretty hypy way IMO is actually ancient, LOL. This does make me feel good actually 'cause it means Jessner peels have been tested by loads and loads of people and if it were unsafe we'd have heard about it by now, yeah? The strength and formulation is always the same, and pretty mild, but several layers can be added for a deeper effect.