Hey,

I'm a low maintenance, out of the door in five minutes type of person. I have never really used anything but any random face cream from the supermarket or drug store, and use mild soap and water to clean my face. Over the last year, I have found that my face is breaking out more and more often, something which I have never had a problem with before, and because I hate wearing makeup, it's important to me that my face looks clear and fresh. 

Should I be using salicylic or lactic acid for the face? I've heard both spoken of as miracle ingredients that boost the skin in the way I want, but I am a skin care virgin really, so I am not really all that sure where to start. If someone could offer some points in the right direction, that would be awesome!

:)

OK.

Salicylic acid is a pretty mild acid. It will help you by removing dead layers from your skin and revealing new layers, which look better, underneath. Many people use salicylic acid for mild acne with great success. You can also use it for oily skin, very mild scarring, and pigmentation problems.

Lactic acid is derived from milk and you may be interested to know that it is, actually, already natural present in the skin as well. What is good about it is that it draws moisture to the skin, and also really does a great job at helping you face sun spots or age spots. Glycolic acid sometimes irritates the skin a bit, but you will not have that problem with lactic acid.

In other words, this is really not an either/or equation. Depending on what your skin is like, you can absolutely use both and you may also want to look into glycolic acid, with penetrates the skin that much more and stimulates new collagen production, making it perfect for people who are looking for a general anti age effect.

I hope that is useful to you. Of course you have peels, then you have creams and exfoliators. I am not sure what you are looking for. My general advice is to start with lower concentrations and then move up to higher concentrations once you know your skin can tolerate it.

I had a lactic acid peel three months ago and I cannot tell you how much better my face looks then before. I knew my skin was tired and worn out and had some issues, but I didn't realize quite how bad it was until the lactic acid had done its bit and I literally came out looking five years younger and so much less tired!!! My face looks brighter, less wrinkles, sooooo much more even, doesn't have those little bits of off color that just made it look unhealthy.... I am over the moon and will be back to have it done again as soon as I see that my skin needs it again!!!

Well, sorry! I started a thread and then disappear! I have been busy with Christmas of course.

Jill, your reply was very useful so thank you for that. It is really good to know that I could actually use both salicylic acid and lactic acid, and I may do that. What do you recommend I buy exactly? You seem like you are very knowledgeable so I assume you could recommend some specific products? Other people are also welcome to weigh in of course.

Celebrity

It seems like you are not quite sure what you are looking for. The ingredients you mention are very popular, but there is no reason to assume that a more gentle and natural approach to your skin care would not have a similar or even better effect on your skin. If you are suffering from breakouts and other impurities, why not look into using a honey and lemon juice mask or a clay mask a few times a week? You may be surprised that you do not need harsh ingredients to tackle your problems at all. You could also investigate using a tea tree oil face wash for your breakouts.

Rosie

For clearing up the skin, yeah, especially them stubborn blemishes that everyone hates like blackheads and whiteheads, I've used salicylic acid creams a few times and they've worked wonders for me real quick. In fact, I'm using one with salicylic acid right now and, yeah, after like three weeks my skin has gone from looking a little worse for wear to looking pretty much smooth and healthy. That's impressive right there. I've never used lactic acid but it's something I mainly associate with peels myself and not with creams. Just saying... not that there may not be any creams with that stuff in them.

Just another perspective... Salicylic acid is pretty harsh and I wouldn't use it on my skin unless I had some very serious issues. It provides a peel that can penetrate the deeper layers of the skin in higher concentrations, which all makes sense if you know that it's actually one of the main ingredients used in those gels that treat verrucas... on the soles of your feet, where the skin is very thick anyway. If what you are after is gentle exfoliation, lactic acid is a much, much better choice for you. This will not do your skin any harm and can be used much more easily.

Yeah, salicylic acid is used in peels as well (with very good results too, as long as you don't do it yourself at home which I am not a fan of!). If you were to go to Boots or Sephora or or someplace like that though and you were to randomly check a bunch of moisturizers for their ingredients, you would find that many of them have salicylic acid in them. This is great for pimples and helps with eczema and dry skin too... definitely on the list of "miracle" ingredients. In creams mind you, salicylic acid is obviously used in MUCH lower concentrations than in peels!