My mother is 67 years old and unfortunately started having heart problems. It looks like she will have to take several medications for her therapy, including diuretics. I am a bit confused here, since I have been using diuretics for my kidney stones. How do they help with heart problems? How long it takes for diuretics to start working?

Diuretics are used not only for kidney stones problems, but for several other conditions, including heart issues. This means that by decreasing the level of fluids in the body, diuretics ease up the situation for the heart (less fluid, less heart work). And diuretics are type of meds whose effect is shown almost momentarily.

Diuretics, commonly known as "water pills," help your body get rid of unneeded water and salt through the urine. Getting rid of excess fluid makes it easier for your heart to pump and controls blood pressure. Diuretics are generally fast acting. They should start working almost immediately.

The previous contributors are incorrect. Depending on the type of diuretic and the patient, salt and volume depletion would take at least 48 hours, if not a week. There is some secondary effect (vasodiliation) that might only occur several weeks in to therapy.

Doctors now use much smaller doses than in the past, so the effects take a little longer, but the side effects are much milder.

Thanks. Your reply explains why my feet and ankles are still swollen even after I started taking the pills on Saturday night. Today is Monday.

Happily for me, my ankles went down in less than a day. Does anyone know if you're supposed to drink more water when taking diuretics?

My doctor told me to cut down my water intake. Drinking more water would defeat the purpose of taking a diuretic. If you retain water you shouldn't drink as much water as those who don't retain it.

Your doctor is ignorant. Drink more water to hold less water weight.

It's true that drinking more water might help, look online for natural methods before you make statements, "ignorant"

There's only information there no one correct answer. Don't call each other names. We are trying to learn from each other. Finally the answer comes when we learn that this isn't a yes or no situation. Thank for everyone taking the time to respond. Good luck and health.

Yes six to eight glasses daily

my doctor said the same. you should only drink to thirst.

correct. It's amazing the amount of misinformation is on here.