My son is 33 years old and he has been suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for few years now. He is depressed because of this condition and he has severe pain. The doctor has failed to manage his ankylosing spondylitis. He was on different medications, but without relief. I want to help him. Does anyone have advice for me?

Did he try methotrexate and Remicade? If he hasn’t he should look for it. I can only advise him to start with exercises I do twice a week. I practice Yoga, which is great and I think that he can practice with ankylosing spondylitis too. I also ride bike when the whether is right, hiking, rollerblading... I am not very flexible but I do my best, plus I feel great afterwards. I have cut way back on the meds on 1-2 Naproxens per day.

I am newly diagnosed with AS and I find that activity is the best medicine. Mine is centered around my SI joints at this time, and rollerblading is very, very helpful where running (my previous choice of exercise) is really not! I'm trying to manage without TNF drugs, and I'm doing OK. I want to stay off them for as long as possible. If he's that far in and very depressed, I would agree that those drugs would be the way to go.