I have heard that ankylosing spondylitis is 2-3 times more common in males than in females. I cannot understand why this going on, so I would like to hear an explanation. However, they say in women, joints away from the spine are more frequently affected than in men. Now I cannot understand anything about ankylosing spondylitis so I want to hear more about this. Is it true it affects all age groups, including children and which are the most common age affected with ankylosing spondylitis?

First to tell you, that the most common age of onset of symptoms with ankylosing spondylitis is in the second and third decades of life. You should know that ankylosing spondylitis is a form of chronic inflammation of the spine and the sacroiliac joints. The sacroiliac joints are located in the low back where the sacrum meets the iliac bones. Chronic inflammation in these areas causes pain and stiffness in and around the spine that is information you should know. Over time, chronic spinal inflammation known as spondylitis can lead to a complete cementing together or fusion, of the vertebrae. That is a process referred to as ankylosis. Ankylosis leads to loss of mobility of the spine, so it is normal to know that ankylosing spondylitis is also a systemic rheumatic disease. This meaning it can affect other tissues throughout the body and accordingly, it can cause inflammation in or injury to other joints away from the spine. Ankylosing spondylitis can affect these other joints as well as other organs, such as the eyes, heart, lungs, and kidneys. Each of these arthritic conditions can cause disease and inflammation in the spine, other joints, eyes, skin, mouth, and various organs, which is very important information about this.