My husband has problems with moderately to severely active rheumatoid arthritis. He has had an inadequate response to methotrexate. I guess that was the reason that his doctor decided to use Remicade in combination with methotrexate. I know those are indicated to reduce signs and symptoms, inhibiting the progression of structural damage and improving physical function in patients as my husband. Anyway I feel a little confused with all these different medications, so I need to hear more about Remicade.

In rheumatoid arthritis, treatment with Remicade reduced infiltration of inflammatory cells into inflamed areas of the joint. This is happening, as well as expression of molecules mediating cellular adhesion and vascular cell adhesion molecule. After treatment with Remicade, patients with rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn's disease exhibited decreased levels of serum IL-6 and C-reactive protein compared to baseline. Peripheral blood lymphocytes from Remicade-treated patients showed no significant decrease in number or in proliferative responses. Elevated concentrations of TNF have been found in the joints of rheumatoid arthritis patients and the stools of Crohn's disease patients. The most common reason for discontinuation of treatment was infusion-related reactions, such as dyspnea, flushing, headache and rash. Adverse events have been reported in a higher proportion of rheumatoid arthritis patients receiving the 10 mg/kg dose than the 3 mg/kg dose. However, no differences were observed in the frequency of adverse events between the 5 mg/kg dose and 10 mg/kg dose in patients with Crohn's disease. In post-marketing experience, cases of anaphylactic-like reactions, including laryngeal edema and severe bronchospasm, have been associated with Remicade administration.