Hello, guys. My father has some serious trouble with his spine. His rheumatologist says that his condition is also known as ankylosing spondylitis. I would like to know whether this condition is treatable or not. What do you know about this? I would appreciate if anyone could tell me this. Thanks.

Hi, there. Unfortunately, ankylosing spondylitis is not treatable. The aim of the treatment is to relieve pain and stiffness. It is better if one starts with treatment earlier before irreversible joint deformation appears. There are several groups of medications that are sued. First ones are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs are more powerful. Those are methotrexate and sulfasalazine. Corticosteroids and TNF blockers are also in use. Most people with this disease do not require surgery. But if the pain is unbearable and the joint damage is serious, then the doctor may recommend it. Physical therapy is also important.