So this past weekend I started to get a much more severe sore throat and decided to go to after hours. the doctor said it looked like strep throat and did a throat culture. he gave me Amoxicillin in the mean while. 3 days later there had been no improvement. i had a follow up appointment with an ears, nose and throat specialist and he also took a look and said it looked like strep throat but he suggested it could also be mono. so i got a blood test and the doctor prescribed me Azithromycin and Tylenol 3's. i just got my throat culture back and i tested negative for group A streptococcus. I'll be getting my mono test back in a day or so. there has been some decrease in discomfort over the last few days. And i believe that i do not have mono. the only way i would get it would be through my girlfriend, whom I've been with for almost 3 months and she does not display any symptoms.

Now, is there any other possible diagnosis that are similar to momo and strep throat? i have a red throat, with white stuff on my tonsils. i have no apparent fever, my temperature is stable around 98 degrees. other then the the discomfort from my throat, and slight discomfort in my right ear (had a tube placed 9 days before), and fatigue due to lack of sleep, i feel normal.

I also have rheumatoid arthritis which i take immune suppressants (methotrexate) and a TNF inhibitor (Humira). could my suppressed immune system cause my symptoms to stay longer meaning i need a larger dosage? i have 2 tablets out of 6 left of the Azithromycin. like i said earlier it seems to be getting better slowly.

Thanks,

Hi

I was wondering if you ever got the results back?? It sounded like a possible sinusitus so i was curious...Hope you are feeling better...I have been having pain in the left side of my throat and there is a nodule on my left tonsil...I am going to be around family the next few days and pray its nothing contagious as my sister has lupus amongst other medical problems...I see the ear nose and throat dr. friday but I also have more pain in left ear....

Sorry for the rant lol ....tks

Yes I did. It was indeed mono. not sure how because my girlfriend didn't and has yet shown any symptoms at all. apparently you can get it just from shaking hands with an infected person. the only way i could think is someone coughing on me a few weeks b4 when i was on the subway :-P. but strep and mono look very similar with the sore throat but mono is much more contagious and you will have spleen and liver swelling so be careful cuz you can potentially rupture your spleen. I have a auto immune disease as well which is a break off from lupus and some other stuff as well. unless there on really severe immune suppressants, then there shouldn't be a problem, just be cautious about what you do.

good luck :-)

hey thanks...I am going tomorrow and was worried cause I see my sister who has Lupus...I have ankylosing Spondylitis and sinusitus (amongst other c**p) so i want to make sure if i am contagious I do not pass it on, especially to her...I am not coughing or feverish...so i dont know if i could even pass it on.....things that make you go hmmmmm

Thanks again, feel better !!

regarding getting it from your GF. I just wanted to say that its my understanding that once you have mono, you carry the virus for life. Every once in a while it can act up and become contagious. I have it from my BF who says he never had mono but its the only way i could've gotten it (plus he hasnt' caught it from me which i think is evidence that he's immune).... Anyways, he was a little off a few weeks back and I think this was the virus acting up. He had no real symptoms, he thought some food made him congested. Also, a lot of folks caught mono as kids and the symptoms then are more flu like. She probably never knew she had mono, just a real bad flu one year. Anwyays, I thought people might want to know that.

you all keep talking about getting it from your boyfriends or girlfriends...its only called the kissing disease because of the way it is passed.you could have gotten it from anyone..i have mono now and i havent kissed someone in a few weeks.everyone has the virus in their body but sometimes it just doesnt act up for some people and randomly acts up for others. it really has nothing to deal with your boyfriend or girlfriend.just saying.

i have neck aches, sore throat, severe headache, chills, nausea, fatigue,an constipation. whats wrong with me? and how to i get better!