Hi! I have otosclerosis, and my audiologist suggested me Stapedectormy. If you know something about this procedure please answer me? What is risk? Should I consider having Stapedectormy?

Hi! I had Stapedectomy. I must admit that I am very satisfied with result. I informed before my surgery and this is what I know about Stapedectomy. It is a surgical procedure in which the innermost bone of the three bones of the middle ear is removed, and replaced with a small plastic tube of stainless-steel wire to improve the movement of sound to the inner ear. Good candidates for the surgery are those who have a fixed stapes from otosclerosis, and a conductive hearing loss at least 20 dB. The procedure can improve hearing in more than 90% of cases. You are probably good candidate for this kind of surgery, and I suggest do it. The most serious risk is an increased hearing loss, which occurs in about one percent of patients. Because of this risk, a stapedectomy is usually performed on only one ear at a time. Less common complications include: temporary change in taste, vertigo, temporary facial nerve paralysis, ringing in the ears.