My friend should have ear surgery called stapendectomy. I’ve never heard about that before. Please tell me something about stapendectomy. Does it require general anesthesia?

Stapendectomy is microsurgical procedure that is done through ear canal. Anesthesia can be local or general. Third ear bone is called stapes, so the procedure is called stapendectomy. Stapes bone is most commonly affected by otosclerosis. I had otosclerosis and did stapendectomy because of that. It improved hearing in me.

I had a stapendectomy 3 days ago. I can hear somewhat thru the layers of medication and cotton ball packed in my ear. My doctor did general anesthesia. He said it was safer, so that I would lay perfectly still during the surgery. Any movement at all can have a poor outcome during the surgery as the area is so microscopic. I am a nurse, also and must have really good hearing to work. There is very little pain, but my hearing is improving and noise level bothers me. I am sure it is due to the adjustments that I will adapt in a few days. Good luck everyone.