Injury in 3/2003 resulting in collapsed cervical discs C 5/6 C6/7 among other injuries. Subsequent surgery to remove and replace with cadeaver discs May 07, 40% successful. Continued chronic pain daily bilateral neck, and right scap pain is deep ache. (Rt shoulder had torn rotar cuff repaired 12/04 shoulder healed well, fair to good range of motion) Doctors say neuropathy. Occasionally pain refers to TMJ from stress of clenching. Have noticed gradual loss of hearing one ear (left), sounds muffled. One surgeon says NOT RELATED. Has anyone else with cervical surgeries experienced hearing problems? I am scheduled to see ENT next mo. to eval.
Thanks

I just had C 5/6 surgery a week ago. My left eye is very swollen and I have had a feeling of fullness in my ears, ringing, and at one point my hearing went out for a brief minute.

My husband is scheduled for fusion in his neck and he is very hard of hearing, the surgeon told him the hearing loss was due to the pinched nerves in his neck, said hearing will greatly improve after surgery, Best of luck to you!

Yes, I am having gradual hearing loss in left ear. Had cervical fusion C5,6,7 in Nov. 2011. Headaches started within 3 mo. And have escalated to migraines starting in back of head and escalating to front! I feel as if I am in a compression chamber and need to pop my ears out and yawning doesn't work. ENT running tests now. Steroids helped somewhat taken with Butalb-Acetaminophen-Caff prescription. It is a band-aid. Pain Management doctor, Audiologist, say it is from surgery and there is impingement somewhere. Awaiting call from ENT and see family doc Mon. for results and his opinion. From what Audiologist said and my research it appears there will have to be another surgery to " clean it out" from scar tissue, etc. causing the nerve or artery compression. I am not a happy camper!! I can say the first surgery omitted 65% of my neck pain and 100% of my arm pain. I have neuropathy and have had 19 surgeries in 30 yrs. I'm a bit older - ha! The hearing issue drives me nuts and sound is loud when head is hurting. When it's not hurting as bad, lower sound. Hope this info helps.

I am so curious as to whether your husband's hearing improved after the surgery. Please inform!

I have recently found out that I have had a C-5 fracture and one of the earliest symptoms I had was hearing loss which improved with the PT exercises that I was given.

Yes...I am experiencing hearing loss in both ears and I had c5 c6 discs removed and fused years ago...I now have bone spurs and arthritis in that location and loss of hearing in both ears....it's a real thing.

I was experiencing low tone hearing loss, dizziness and ear fullness/weirdness (like the ear drum itself was a drum head pulled too tightly). I was initially told it was Meniere's. Many mris, x-rays and many specialists later it turns out it was due to a pinched nerve in neck. Symptoms gradually went away with PT exercises. So yes I can see unavoidable screwing with the neck causing problems with the ears.