Hello, folks. My father is an older man who has been experiencing progressive hearing loss. He was diagnosed with otosclerosis and he was recommended with operation for treating this condition. I would like to know if this is really the best option for him. I would like to hear what you think.

Hi, there. Otosclerosis is one of the most common causes for progressive hearing loss in older people. It usually affects auditory ossicles. Surgery is the best option. It is called stapedectomy. A surgeon does a form of bypass. He bypasses the diseased ossicles with an implant and in this way he allows sound to be transported to the inner ear. If the hearing loss is not so serious, then surgery may not be needed. Even after surgery, some minor hearing loss can be present. Your father should discuss thoroughly about benefits and risks of the surgery and then to decide. Good luck!