I have had an ear blockage for nearly a year, and it has gotten worse since it first came about! I think this ear blockage was caused during a pep rally at my High School. I was so close to the brass and drum sections of the school band, because my friends were sitting there. When I walked out my ears were pounding and ringing. Then a couple days later, I noticed my hearing went down. I can't hear my footsteps when I walk, it is harder for me to hear myself whisper then it was before. I can barely hear myself talk sometimes. My ears make a popping noise when I swallow, is it fluids inside my ear? I also think that I sleep in positions that make my ear worse. If I lay on bad ear, (right ear) It seems it pushes the blockage further down my good ear. My dad recommended that cleaning my ear with a q-tip, but my hearing seemed worse the next day. The doctors say the blockage is too deep in the ear to operate or remove it. They said I can only take prescribed nasal spray to help it, and I don't hear a difference. They said if the nasal spray doesn't work, then there is nothing they can do. Just to let you know I have a disorder in the name of Asperger Syndrome, so it makes things different for me than an average person. I have this disorder that occurs at night, and that is I bang my head when I sleep, for some reason it helps me fall asleep better. Don't ask me why. I have been doing it since I was an infant. It is out of my control, and I can't get through one night without doing it. I am concerned that this is a part of my hearing problems. Should I sleep in a certain position, how can I clean my ears properly... What can I do to help my ear?I became partially deaf when I was 3 years old from a very bad virus. I lost some hearing percentages in my left (good) ear as well. I can't hear at all in my right ear. Please help me! Please!!!!!! :-(

I wouldn't call what you have an ear blockage.
I'd say you have a hearing loss, plus I think you need to be examined by an audiologist immediately.

You have symptoms that need treatment.

I agree. It sounds to me like you may have suffered a ruptured ear drum which would need immediate attention because it will not get better anytime soon. Please let us know how it goes, okay? I want to hear about your recovery.

I've just re-read your original post, and a few things jumped out at me.

I also have had a temporary hearing loss this week, but it has been identified as an outer ear infection (Swimmer's Ear is the common name, though not the source).

I agree that it sounds to the subject that you have fluid trapped in your ear, and the temptation is to use a cue tip to try to "dig it out". But this is bad because of two or three side-effects from the use of Q-tips. First, if they don't remove the wax build up, then they push it farther in, creating a "dam" which can trap more bacteria and germs to fester. Second, if a Q-tip DOES remove the wax, you expose tender or inflamed skin to the air, which can hurt. Third, the proper way to dry an ear is to use the corner of a towel to wick the water out and away.

I am doubtful that your head banging practice has affected your hearing, but I am unfamiliar with your condition.

The fact that you've had a hearing loss as a child, and that you continue to have hearing issues now, would suggest that you protect what little you have left as much as possible. It's not wise to sit right in front of any loud noise generating unit, whether it's a band or a speaker. I don't care who else is sitting there, I wouldn't. Make your excuses and move. But don't put yourself at risk.

Whenever I have to walk in front of a blaring speaker, or have an ambulance scream past, I always plug my ear closest with a finger. People tell me it looks silly, but I'm able to hear when many of my fellow rock fans have lost their hearing years ago! Rather look dumb for a few minutes than risk your hearing permanently.

Finally, let me repeat that you need to see an audiologist or at least your family doctor to get your current problem resolved. Good luck.