i am 22 years old an i have a pulsating sound in my left ear. i have had it for about 18 months. it starded when i was pregnant. i went to the doctor and he said to just put it down to pregnancy. well i went on and after having my baby it did not leave. it really drives me mad, because it is there all of the time. i have been to the doctor and sent off to have MRI scans and ultrasounds of my neck , veins and arteries etc. they have only shown that my jugular, veins and arteries on the left side are different to the other side. i have just been away to see a neurologist in melbourne and he has organised for me to have a cerebral angiogram. i dont mind doing this, but my husband and i have been trying to have another baby. in all of the info i can find on the net, it says that if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant then you should not be having the angiogram. i am not sure what to do given that other people have the same tests and get nowhere. can you please tell me the risks involved in planing pregnancy and the angiogram (contrast medium dye). thankyou. ( it is good to hear other peoples stories

Good Morning Jessh,

I went on line to investigate why my left ear has been pulsating along with a multitude of other symptoms. You may not have noticed, but there is an advertisement for ear candles at the end of SteadyHealth.com's site. I would not have noticed the ad on ear candles, if I did not recently have a sinus drainage massage treatment at a local spa. When I mentioned I have had chronic sinusitus attacks with very severe mucous, since early childhood, the sinus massage was recommended.

The treatment felt wonderful, but I still had a problem of shortnesss of breath, fluid build up in my left foot and ankle and severe continued mucous with my dried out nose from my forced hot-air gas heating system. Needless to say I have figured out to a tee what has been taking place in my body since I was a baby! I have many, many, many allergies/sensitivities to everything from food, to the air I breath, to chemical senstitivities and as my allergist has explained to me, when my cup runneth over, I get vasamotor rhinitus. You might want to read about this condition to see if it fits any other symptoms you may be experiencing.

Getting back to ear candles, the young lady at the spa, recommended ear-candling, when I told her all of my symptoms. You are smart to reach out for opininions in making the right decision on what tests may or may not be safe, where you are trying to get pregnat. I am not a doctor, but it would be my recommendation, to consider ear-candling treatments if your gynecologist agrees with me. You can also look up information on ear candling on line.

I made a decision for myself after reading about your concerns and symptom of pulsating left ear, that we both share. I will call today and make an appointment for ear-candling which is supposed to be very healthy for the ears and in calming down sinus and ear pain. We breath substances into our bodies, not just by our nose, but by our ears, nose and throat. If we can rid these substances from our systems, I bet our symptoms could be controlled or alleviated.

I am also scheduling colonic treatments today, to help with the extreme
gas build up in my stomach which shoots up through my sphincters and into my throat and nose and ears. I could be wrong, but this is what it feels like. I think this also ties in with my left swollen leg and ankle, left plugged sinus and dried out nose, throat, scalp and all the way down to my toes.!!!

This probably sounds riduculous to a lot of people, but I have been journaling my multitude of symptoms since early childhood, trying to find the root cause of my extreme allergies and sensitivies. But I was in denial for years, wanted to be a regular/non allergic type person who can do everything. But that was impossible with a father who was written up in medical journals as having more allergies and sensitivities than any other person the doctors had ever encountered. My father's extreme allergies were to most foods, mold, dust, chemicals etc. etc and they told him he was allergic to his cigarettes and they were killing him and possibly caused his huge colon tumor. He was also told that he might have
possibly been allergic to himself, as hard as that is to believe. My father a few years after his non-cancerous colon tumor, lost his life to rectal cancer.

My mother also had extreme allergies. Both my mother, father and brother smoked and I smoked until age 22, but I knew my smoking was harming me, because I would wheeze constantly when I would smoke and I only had cigarettes occasionally, but was getting second hand smoke from parents and brother. All of the smoke I inhaled growing up and the smoke I inhale at casino's, when I go, has done a job on my health and I continue to subject my self just the same, because I do not want to missout on anything life has to offer!

Smoking is the scurge of health on society as a whole, and I am sure a cousin who is a non-smoker and just diagnosed with lung cancer must have her suspicians, as well. She is quite intelligent and is an O.R. Nurse. so I now have another thought process, being around oxygen constantly at the hospital could have contributed as well as any frequent second-hand smoke she was exposed to.

Both the oxygen and ether I was given when I was very young and having my tonsils taken out, caused me to be over-come with breathing difficulties.

The statements to you, are strictly my thoughts and opinions and experiences, and are only meant for you to do your own search for how you want to handle your own symptoms. I do not believe in diseases, I believe only in symptoms which are then named as diseases. It is for each individual to take part in their own health, by questioning, as you have done, to make the most informed decision.

I wish you good health through informing and educating yourself, and you be sure to find your own truths!

Sharlene

I've had pulse pounding two times in my life. Both times it was completely and immediately relieved by going to an ear, now and throat specialist who drained my eustation tube. It took care of it completely. I have sinus infections frequently, and I was told to blow one side of my nose at a time, if not, then it forces fluid into the ear canal. Then the pounding will begin again. I think it can cause hearing loss eventually, if the tube stays bloked. :)

for the past six months ive been trying to ignore the sound of my heartbeating in my ear. last wednesday i happened to try and give blood at one of the blood mobiles parked at my school's campus. the technician on board told me that my hemoglobin level was the lowest anyone on that bus had ever seen and gave me a referral to get it checked out at my doctor's. i set an appointment for the following monday where my doctor informed me that i would need a blood transfusion. i was admitted that evening and received four units of blood. i dont want to jinx myself (as silly as it may sound) but i havent heard my heartbeat in my ear since. today will be two days since i received my transfusion and still no beat. *fingers crossed*
get your iron levels checked, just something to consider.

My pulse in my left ear was a result of my iron deficiency and borderline anemia. Happened to me one other time in my life. I know that my iron is low when my back starts hurting and I have the very irritating heart beat in my left ear. I have no idea why it is the left ear, but it is.

hi I also have the same pulsating in my right ear especially at nights and really dont know what causes it. i visited the doctor some time ago and he said it could be my sinuses or symptom of dehydration.

Hi Jessh, I am going thru the same thing... I been having this problems for 8 years now, I never pay attention to it (yes it drives me crazy) and just yesterday I found out that my arteries in my neck are curve.. And I will be put thru the same test you when thru...  My doctor is concern about me having a stroke.  Wishing everything worked out for you. Please let me know how was for you

Have you had your ears checked? Go to an ear nose and throat doctor, get your hearing tested and see if you have Otosclerosis. I had three pregnancies. The symptoms you described got worse with each pregnancy. By the third one, I noticed significant hearing loss. After fumbling around with a hearing aide for a year, I opted to have a double stapedectomy to restore my hearing. Otosclerosis is when the stapes bone inside your middle ear becomes a spongy overgrowth which blocks sound waves. The operation removes the deformed stapes bone and replaces it with a prosthetic.  Other related symptoms of Otosclerosis are wooshing, or pulsating noises in the ears and tinitus. Hearing loss may come on so gradulally, it can take a a few years before you notice it. Hormonal changes during pregnancy accelerate the disease somewhat. Also, fair skinned, blue eyed people are more genetically predisposed to it. Beethovin had otosclerosis!