Hi! I have diabetic neuropathy. A month ago I heard that anti-depressants can be used for nerve pain. Is this true? Do you know something about this issue? Thank you!

Hi! I have nerve pain caused by shingles, and I take antidepressant. I feel some relief. Antidepressants should be used as an initial treatment for the frequently disabling pain caused by nerve tissue damage. Researchers found that the older class of antidepressants called tricyclics can provide significant pain relief. These include medications such as amitriptyline, imipramine, clomipramine, desipramine, and nortriptyline. Nerve pain from diabetes, called diabetic neuropathy, occurs after chronically elevated blood sugars damage nerves throughout the body. Antidepressants do not cure or eliminate all pain.

I have recurring nerve pain through my right hip and leg. In addition to physical therapy, I was prescribed Tramadol for the pain. From what I've heard, this is an antidepressant which is very effective in the treatment of nerve pain, and it works fairly well for me. It doesn't work for other types of pain I've had, like arthritis in my hip, but it's certainly worth talking to your doctor about if you pain is truly nerve pain. Hope this helps.

Diana

I have had constant nerve pain from a rare variation of sarcoidosis that affects my spinal nerves. Even when inhaling sharply, the pain used to radiate down the back of my legs.

My doctor prescribed (but you can get it without prescription) Neurobion, a vitamin B complex. The B12 in Neurobion is the magic ingredient, which conditions the nerves, apparently delivering oxygen to the nerve. I have found that if I keep up at 2 tablets a day, there is a cumulative effect and I eventually get to a point where I have NO nerve pain whatsoever.

To me it seems that a vitamin supplement is the least invasive option, and yet the most effective. I hope it will help for you too.

I am also on Metformin (diabetes medication), which is notorious for interfering with vitamin B absorption. Maybe have your B12 levels checked as well.

Hi, Tramadol isn't an antidepressant it's an opioid it works for neuropathic pain,