I was diagnosed with major depression 4 weeks ago and I’m currently taking fluoxetine, twice daily 50 mg. I’m still not feeling any improvement in my depression symptoms even though it’s been a month already and I guess at least something should have changed by now. Maybe it’s too early, but I really want to get back to my old self again.

Now I’m thinking to ask for a different antidepressant on my next checkup and a friend of mine recommended venlafaxine, but I’m hoping someone could tell me which one of these medications is more effective:  venlafaxine and fluoxetine?

first off, you're on fluoxetine for only few weeks and it takes a minimum of two weeks, usually more, depending on your depression symptoms, for fluoxetine to become fully effective in your body.It's quite possible you're now at the stage it's beginning to have some effect, but just consider for how long you've been depressed and how realistic it is that you, like most depressed people, see major improvement fast.

It's true that venlafaxine (Effexor) is more effective anti depressant, but it also has frequent side effects and is known as an antidepressant that very often causes withdrawal symptoms.