I am facing surgery within the next few weeks. I would like to hear from people that had a good outcome. I need to think positive. I am already stressed out enough. The internet is a wonderful tool. However it seems all I can find in forums are things that have gone wrong.

The vertabrae are compressing my spinal cord. The Dr will be removing C6 and replacing with donor bone. I will have a plate and screws to hold everything together. I see him April 5th for final appt and scheduling of the surgery.

What are some questions I should be asking?

I am very worried about the anesthesia. I have sleep apnea. The last time I was put under (total knee replacement 2004) I was put into a twilight sleep as the breathing tube was placed in me. I still get anxiety attacks when I remember what that was like. Once the tube was in I was knocked completly out.

I am so stressed. I guess I need some good news. I'm not being nieve.

Twinz

Good Luck.. I had surgery in mid Jan and am recovering just find. I have the pain under control with meds / and an IF unit..
As far as the anesthesia is concerned... the team should make the team aware of any prior problems with anesthesia. Everybody reacts differently. Talk it over with your primary doctor and surgeon they can get the notes on the anesthesia from the last even you had and perhaps they can make some adjustments.

Also I would not take donor bone.. as you don't know what problems that person had.

PC,

First I do not know what and IF unit is.

Second, they cannot take bone from my hip. I has such bad arthritis that taking any bone would be dangerous. My hips are almost to the point of needing replacement.

Third, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your reply.

Twinz