I have problem with discs C5, C6, C7. The Neurosurgeon said I need to have bone taken from my hip and placed between the discs.
My problem is I get these excruciating headaches (I do get migraines sometimes but these are not migraines). The headache last anywhere for a day to a little over a week. They are so bad that I can not work. The Dr. said that the headaches are not coming from my neck issues.
Does anyone have issues with those disc's that also gets extreme headaches? If so what do you do for them? Has anyone that has had the headaches also had the surgery for their neck and if so did it help the headaches. I am at wits end here and do not know (if it is not the issues with my neck) what could be causing these headaches.

Before my disectomy and fusion at C4-5 I had headaches so bad that if I leaned forward to brush my teeth I thought the top of my head was going to blow off. All gone after surgery.

I am a RN so had access to hospital medical library and could research this. Many cases of headache resolved by surgery.

Tell your doc I said he needs some further CEU's. He will know what I mean......

Be firm. Good Luck!

I have 3 bulging discs in my neck and the one on top is pushing something against the cord barely touching it. But i don't get headaches from it but mainly get them cause of my thick hair. But am glad that ya seeing an Neurosurgeon to get that fixed, also glad that the doctors didn't tell ya its all in your head like they did me.

But was wondering about something do ya feel numbess in your arms and legs from the bulging discs or no.

I have suffered with sore right arm and shoulder for long time - now I get neck / back ache at c6 c7 location and pins / needles in right arm which builds up to a severe ache in forearm when my arm is outstretched or neck turned to right.
MRI scan shows 2 discs bulging into spinal nerve but obviously it is the radial root nerves that are being affected most to give me arm pains.

Trying private physiotherapy to strengthen neck / back muscles at present but it only really helps neck ache and not the arm. Neck ache is now very seldom but arm ache has become more frequent and much more severe pain wise. Using Co-codamol for pain relief but this only relieves about 50% pain / aches.

I feel myself that surgery is my only option and would appreciate any advice / tips regarding surgery.

Hi i have been newely diagnosed with c5 c6 c7, i to have chronic heachaches thoughtout the day...i found out with trail and error, it's not my c5 c6c7 injury, it's my neck pain. i have been doing upper body exercises on my total gym, and flexing with robes daily -to my surprise within a day a felt 50% better, i stretch all day with time permits, i truely believe lifting light weights help with chronic neck pain, it has helped me..you have move even when the heachaches is present.

My C5 and C6 are locked which means they dont move. I had daily headaches. I started going to a chiropractor and after the first treatment my headaches started going away. Each time i get a treatment, i get less and less headaches. The manuever is called pull release on my neck which helps to unlock these two vertebrae. He also uses an activator on my neck. Anyway this treatment works. I am temporarily getting deep tissue message on my upper back and neck to loosen up the tight muscles. All of the treatments are working for me. Sue.