I have had 2 neck surgeries in the last 1 1/2 year now I am fused from c3- to c7. Iam just wondering if anyone else has had this and are you pain free? I had to quit my job of 13 years because the pain is not gone away. I can't lift over 10 pounds or I pay for it for days. I am just so frustrated, I have VERY limited ROM, 10% use of my neck is all and Iam in constant pain. Iam only 42, will this ever end???? Please someone help me!

I have had 2 fusions, C3 to C7, I am 44 years and am still in pain. There is no getting away from it, I take 10 mg methadone 3x daily 7.5 mg loratob 3x daily 10 mg Flexiril 3x daily and am still in pain. the meds help alot without them I am unable to do my job! Food Service, the trays are heavy and makes things worse! Best thing; a numbers bed or amemory foam mattress pad 6" thick, 2 memory foam neck pillows, 1 for my head the orher for between my legs (I now have 2 BULGING discs in my low back!) Yoga stretching helps, get out of bed slowly! The anxiety from the pain, meds, work and every day house work is tremendous, no one will help me with the anxiety and panic attacks because of the meds!! This is a no win cituation! Just bear with it and count on no one for empathy or sympathy!! RS

I also had neck surgery in Jan 2009 being fused from c3-c7. I also had to quit my job. I have a hard time keeping my head up. I was an active 61 year old doing all my own chores. Now someone has to drive for me go shopping, cooking etc. Now I have problems with sleeping. I will never have another neck surgery. I would rather die.

I am four days out of surgery for a two site ACDF. ROM is going to depend on the vertebrae that are fused. If C3 through C7 are fused you are going to have severely limited ROM. Because of the fusion, you don't have the discs anymore to allow the vertebrae to rotate. One of the things I keep seeing over and over in these posts that seems to come up for post operative pain and recovery are these things (this is just my observation and note meant to be a professsional opinion)

* How long had you been experiencing symptoms? The longer the symptoms, the more chance you will have permanent to semi-permanent nerve damage or compromise.

* Recovery varies from person to person. Even though, I'm only 4 days post op, I appear to be having a better time than others with the same symptoms. I lot of recover depends on 1) Physical therapy and following the exercises - I know I don't want to do them because they hurt - but it does help with mobility and recovery.

* Nutrition. Are you eating a high fiber, high protein diet?

* Keep in mind, you've had MAJOR reconstructive surgery to your neck. You've had 4 vertebrae locked in place permanently and this isn't something that's going to have you back to normal in days, weeks or months..

I really do wish you all the best. Keep asking the doctor questions and if you don't like the answers, get another doctor.

Best of wishes and my prayers are with you.

I cant believe that a lot of people feel the way I feel I'm not alone and that in some way helps me. I have had 3 C-spine surgeries and I am still in pain.

1st: discectomy C3-4 with cadavar bone placed in the disc space- my body rejected the cadavar bone and I wore a neck brace for 6 months. I healed pretty well. 12/03

Then the car accident in 3/07

2nd : discectomy C5-6 with cadavard bone and titanium plate. Rejected the cadavar bone again. I never got relief from the shooting pains in my shoulder and right arm. Epiderals, pills, pain injections. When the cadavar bone rejected my C-spine colapsed onto my spinal cord causing pain that was to say the least intolerable. 12/07

3rd: Decompression of the spine C3-C7 with rods and screwws. I am still in pain and require all the same pain meds. The doctors did MRIs CT scans x-rays and can not find the reason behind my pain (mostly in the right arm). Some doctors treat me like I just want pain meds- this is not true I am currently working -only took time off for recovery and some treat you with sympathy. 12/08
I was sent to a pain management doctor- WHAT A JOKE- who wants to make you a zombie- went back to my surgeon and friday I will have an EMG nerve test that could show what nerve is damaged. I wish I would have known about these sites while I was going through all of these surgeries it helps to hear others stories. I would love if some of you can let me know if you were ever treated badly or told you should be having no pain? What did you do or say and how did it make you feel?

Im 44 had the same surgery c3-c7 still in pain. I'm working but cant lift either. I'm having an EMG nerve test done this week to see what nerve is damaged. I know your frustration only 44 yo myself.

I'm 41 and have had neck pain for quite some time now but decided to go and get checked out because I was getting headaches every day as well. After my MRI came back I was told that I had multiple levels of spinal stenosis, all of the c3 - c7 were bulging and my c4 & c5 were herniated. I'm going to try and start with the injections for now and was thinking of disc replacement instead of the fusion but I was told the united states will only allow 2 to be replace even though europe is able to do 4 so I'm hoping time will be on my side that we can catch up to europe with this type of surgery. My biggest fear is what can happen if I wait too long to have the surgery. Good luck to all of you suffering from this!!!!

I'm about 1.5 yrs post op from ACDF of C5-C7 with herniated disks, foriminal stenosis, vertabral degeration and calcification of the herniated disks. I had the ACDF with cadaver bone between C5&C6 and between C6&C7 with the titanium plate and screws. Prior to the surgery, I was in incredible discomfort with shooting pain down my left arm and into my left hand. I had lost sensation in my right forearm and thumb and first two fingers. I was also loosing strength in my left arm rapidly.

I was fortunate in that I found a doctor and then neuro-surgeon that moved quickly. From the onset of the major symptoms to my surgery was about twelve weeks. Consequently, I have had a remarkable recovery. I have only lost a little ROM in my neck. Because we are talking about something that impacts the Nerves and spine, the longer you live with your symptoms the more damage you are likely to have to the nerves. The more damage you have pre-op, less relief to the symptoms you will feel post-op. I personally know people who have very limited ROM, and continued pain. So, why have the surgery if not to relieve the symptoms? That answer is something you have to take up with your surgeon. Ask the questions. I was told I had about an 80%+ chance of relief of symptoms from the surgery, which was good enough for me. What happened in the surgery was that the surgeon actually discovered that the vertebrae were on the verge of failure and without stabilization it was very likely that I would have had a catastrophic failure in my C-Spine resulting in paralysis.

1.5 years after surgery, I still have some decreased sensation and occasional very minor pain. I also sometimes still drop things with my left hand. However, based on the pain I was in and the chance of paralysis, I would definitely opt for the surgery again. I am actually more active and fit today than before I had the surgery and I'm 55. I want to emphasize that from what I've seen, my case is not typical. Everyone needs to look at their own unique case, do research and ask LOTS of questions of the doctor and surgeon BEFORE they have surgery. Good Luck to you and best wishes!

Thanks, greatly appreciated!!

I am 47. Male. I am fused from c3 to c7 after three surgeries. I can only be up for an hour or so doing stuff before I have to lay down or recline with a neck pillow. The pain starts in the back and is so bad I lose control of my hands. It has been almost two years. I had a spinal stimulator trial and the leads were around c2 to c3. This only helped if I was laying just right. If I moved the leads lost contact and quit working. Also when the thing is on you still lose motor skills as the thing vibrates in your hands so bad. So, still waiting on approval for final implant. I am on the narco and amrix which is a muscle relaxer which does help me get some sleep. I am writing this at 1:30am because I can't sleep this night due to pain and bad spasms or cramp like pain. Driving is dangerous now. If I sneeze or cough I lose control of my hands. I have had to pull over and nearly had an accident. I stick mostly to back country roads now. This has been rough on those close to me as well. To look at me I look fine. I mean I am not missing a limb or anything. So it is frustrating when I have to tell people I love I can not do a lot of things I use to do. I am starting to wonder if I will ever be able to go back to work. I can't even sit at a desk for more than a half hour before I have to lay down. Even with the drugs, resting my big head seems to be the only thing that helps.

How can the person 4 days post op know anything? I started post op recovery with a positive attitude as well. I thought I would shake this off like my last two sugeries. But now With the third surgery, making fused from c3 to c7 I am lost. I tried PT. I tried EVERYTHING. Now it has been almost two years and I am worse than ever. So please don't come on here 4 days post op and try to give anyone advice. Let's see how you are doing in a year when you have to struggle to do dishes after dinner and you have to struggle to maintain a positive outlook and keep hope.

I am 7 months post-op Spinal Stenosis C3 - C7 Fusion Surgery. I went to the doctor with complaints of low back and bilateral sciatica pain. I was told by the Neurosurgeon that the pain was coming from my neck. Now I have donor bone, titanium plates, screws and a rod in my neck. I have limited mobility and am in constant pain. I have not been able to find a job or stand for longer than 30 minutes before my low back and heels are in great pain. I never had pain in my neck or shoulders until the surgery. Now my hands and fingers go numb and tingle, I lose my grip and drop things. I have constant pain and muscle spasms between my shoulder blades. The doctors treat me like a junkie and refuse to give me medication.

i just had that done,i was born with 1&2 fused,3to7 surgically, doc sais i wont be able to do my job for good.i work for street dept.i know what kinda pain u r in

just had that done.email me

had c3 to c7 done to me &more worked in a foundry for 30 yrs doc sais i wont work again, im only a week out of surgery but i hope it gets better.i kinda feel the same way u do nobody wants to listen to u, ihave never not worked in my life and being off work has really got me down