I have been on morphine for a year because of my disease. Then I heard while I was in clinic about some medicine called fetanyl. I’ve heard fetanyl patches are also used for pain. What I would like to know is which medicine is better. Should I try fetanyl patches or continue with morphine?

The primary use of the fetanyl patch is to provide a continuous delivery of the pain reliever to a patient with on going pain. This is especially useful after a surgical procedure. Also, fetanyl patches are helpful in the management of cancer pain, or after injury. This is choice of opioid analgesics used in palliative care. Each patch is worn for 72 hours and has about the same effect as twice daily oral sustained release morphine. There are some advantages in using fetanyl patches for some patients. It’s not yet listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and it is quite expensive. There is no significant difference between fetanyl and SR morphine in regards to pain control. However, fetanyl did require slightly more breakthrough doses of morphine. Also, fetanyl patches appeared to be less sedating than morphine both in the daytime and night. You should talk to your doctor, I don’t know what the reason why you are useing morphine is, but I think it’s still better choice then fetanyl patches.

do not go onto fentanyl patches, ive just went through withdrawal from them and also from co dydramol opiates, it affected my breathing, i ended up in hospital from it, yes if you are terminal and have no intention of ever coming off it it does help with pain management, but id rather go onto some other kind of pain releif than ever touch this patch again and if you read through the internet putting in problems with them you will be shocked the amount of people who have had problems with it.  Withdrawal is a killer im on my third week as you get used to them quickly and my dosage was getting upped and upped, i have a lifelong chronic pain three conditions and id rather put up with a little pain than go on these ever again, please find out all you can before going on these.....