Hi! My mother uses Duragesic Patch for pain relief. I heard that many deaths are caused Duragesic Patch. How long she may use this drug? When should doctor prescribe this drug?

Hi! Duragesic patches deliver a continuous dose of the potent narcotic painkiller fentanyl for a period of three days. The patches are prescribed for chronic pain when short-acting narcotics and other types of painkillers fail to provide relief. Duragesic Patch has been linked to a number of deaths from overdoses of fentanyl, which can suppress the respiratory system. Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, tell doctor as soon as possible. Only doctor can determine if it is safe to continue using Duragesic.

IVE HAD CHRONIC PAIN ALL OVER, A BAD BACK ,ARTHRITIS AND FIBROMYALGIA, MY DR. PRESCRIBED THE FENTENYL PATCH FOR ME BECAUSE PERCOCETS WERENT STRONG ENOUGH FOR THE PAIN. I WOULD NOT RECOMEND THAT PATCH TO ANYONE! I COULDNT EVEN STAY AWAKE USING THOSE THINGS , I WOULD BE WATCHING TV AND FIND MYSELF SLOUCHED OVER SLEEPING WHILE SETTING ON MY COUCH . I ALMOST BURNED MY FURNITURE AND HOUSE UP BECAUSE OF JUST FALLING ASLEEP ANYWHERE EVEN IN THE BATHROOM. I COULDNT FUNCTION AT ALL WHILE I WAS USING THEM. SO IF YOU START GETTING REALLY TIRED USING THEM TELL YOUR DR. TO MANY PEOPLE DIED WHILE USING THE PATCH , I THINK THERE "VERY DANGEROUS" YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF USING PERCOCETS AND OXYCONTIN TOGETHER ITS SAFER AS LONG AS YOU TAKE THEM AS PRESCRIBED........BE VERY CAREFUL

jammer wrote:

First of all your post doesn't have very much information. What dosage were you prescribed? Had you been on daily oral narcotic therapy for at least a year? And by that I mean had you been taking say 3 or 4 lorcet 10's or percocet etc daily for at least a year? The fentanyl patches are CONTRAINDICATED unless you have been on narcotics daily for at least a year... and even then the correct starting dose is very important. So if your doctor didn't follow the conversion protocol and etc.. of course duragesic is dangerous!!