Could you please tell me something about Suboxone? I have been on
the Fentanyl Patch for one year and want to get off it badly. I want to
be drug free. I am 54 years old and live in Canada. The pharmacist
said it can be ordered here. How long would I have to be on it? Is it
addicting? All advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Doreen

This is what I wrote on a Percocet withdrawal topic post. This should answer your questions...

! Watch out for that Suboxone!!!!! Yes, you feel better, but good luck trying to get off it. I am taking Suboxone as part of a detox plan from Oxycontin addiction. Believe me, they are very similar (Percocet is Oxycodone Hydrochloride and Oxycontin is Oxycodone) - Very similar. When finding any withdrawal remedy, you want to stay away from the Opiates (Percocet, Oxycontin, Vicodin, etc.). My psychiatrist... and yes, I have one now as a result of all this, prescribed Clonidine. This is a high blood pressure medicine which helps alleviate some of the withdrawal simptoms of opiates, including Suboxone, which is a mild opiate. So here is what you need to do: Every day, take less and less Suboxone, but just enough to feel okay. While doing this, take 2 Advil in the morning and 2 at night. These will help you sleep, are not habit forming, and help with withdrawal simptoms. Continue this until you are taking literally crumbs of Suboxone per day. Get a script of Clonidine from your doc, and continue to take the Advil & Clonidine as needed. This WILL work... Good Luck!!!

I also was on the fentanyl patch, I was on it for 8 months, and I started to build up a tolarence to it. Instead of using one sometimes I would put on two or I would have to change it every two days, in turn, I couldn't get my perscription filled because it was too early, which ended up with me going into withdrawal, I am telling you, fentanyl patch withdrawal, is not fun, I was so very sick. Anyway, my doctor and I sat down to discuss other pain mangement options, I was still in dire pain and advil would not help at all. He told me about suboxone, it is 8-15 times stronger than morphine, but there is not fuzz side effects, no addiction to it and I wont have withdrawal. The only thing is that I couldn't have any opiates in my system because if I had the opiates and suboxone it would send me into a acute withdrawal. But I have been on suboxone for almost 10 months, and I must say I feel really good. The only downside is I was still sick and when I would go to the hospital I couldn't get any pain meds, so I would have to wait 2 to 3 days before I could get something for pain. And when I had to get surgery I would have to stop the suboxone 3-4 days before. Oh, and When I was weaned from the fentanyl patch, my doctor said that the patch is the only opiate thats unperdictable because some of the meds can still leak into your skin even though you take it off. So my doctor weaned me from the fentanyl patch to percocet to the suboxone, but I guess depending on your pain level, you could wean from fentany patch, to percocet, vicodin, oxycontin, etc... whatever makes you feel comfortable. I know percocet and vicodin, you have to be 12 hrs without it,and oxycontin you have to be at least 24hrs. I hope this helps you on you decision. Feel fre to ask any questons and I will try my best to answer them . Good Luck!

Getting off suboxone is not as difficult or as painful as some people maintain - here is a system that worked for me and subsequently many of my friends. The first rule is that you do it very very slowly - suboxone can linger in your system for months - yes months - so when you reduce dosages stay on that dosage for at least 1-2 months to allow you system to adjust. You have to fully adjust to each new dose before you reduce to the next lower dose e.g. Start at 8 mg ad go to 7.5mg stay there for 2 months and then go down to 7mg. It is going to take along time but this gradual adjustment will allow you to function and will reduce the temptation of a relapse - in my case to Heroin for 10 yrs so I did not want to go back. Once you get to 2mg reduce by .25 mg. From 1mg down you will then have to reduce by .125mg. To do this you will have to split the 2 mg tablets into 8 pieces (crumbs basically) and follow the 1-2 month adjustment plan. Finally when you have been on your last dosage (.125mg) for 1-2 months you can stop taking subs completely. If you follow this system the jump off is not that bad - I promise. I recommend then that you take a combination of advil, multi vitamins as well as milk thistle and st johns wort if you have budget for it. If you need help or have questions please post a response and I will notified by email that your question is waiting. Good luck good people and God be with you. The Subhelper 102.

i have been on subs for almost 2yrs!im down to an avge. of 3/4 of an 8mg a day.my goal is to go to 1/3 a day to a 1/4 aday,etc.suboxone really is a miracle drug for junkies and also has taken any opiate urges.i have been clean and sober off everything else except suboxone,but for an addict like me,who has been a drunkinjunkie for 20 some years,im proud of myself.once i get off subs,i can say im truly clean n sober.one day at a time.subs are not easy to get off of because of mainly the mental aspect of it.you do go through withdrawl,but not nearly as bad.i did it before,but i couldnt sleep and extremely restless so i went back on them.replacing my mental ways of feeling i need something is the hardest part.fatigue also is a factor.but once again im ready to get off them completely.i need to know if employment oppurtunities test for them?

i have been on subs for over 2 years now heroin as well ... i keep going from 16 mg to the 24 mg im still prescribed .. i feel when i get stressed out i need more and i am so scared to get off and not be able to function. but they make me so so tired its not funny i can barely stay up 10 hours out of the day what do u suggest. im way to scared to be off everything

hi ive been off suboxone for a few months now, see i was ddicted to painkillers for 8 years and put on suboxone. i was prescribed the suboxone for another 4 yrs, not really recommended. most drs will wean u off in months depending on your pain n tolerance. it can be done within a week..what u do is take away 25 percent the first day and 5 to 10 percent of the medication until ur done. most prescription pain killers can be done the same way, just subxone is an easier ride. speaking from experience personally, and professionally as an RN.

I was addicted to opiates and was put on Methadone to help manage my cravings and all was great untill I was abrubtly taken off of it due to having to move out of state. The withdrawal from the Methadone was unbearable and subsequently was put on Suboxone. I took the Suboxone at a low dose for quite sometime. When the time came to stop taking it I did expierence some withdrawal symptoms due to the fact it is a addictive but they were far less intense as the withdrawal from the Methadone. In short it is my personal opinion that taking Suboxone is actually trading one addiction for another but on the upside it is alot easier to stop taking. Good luck and best wishes!

Why the milk thistle?

After being addictive for a long time it's very hard to become drug free but its not impossible. It can be done by taking proper treatments from professionals.