I am 18 years old and have been on the pill since I was 15/16. Ive constantly had problems on the pill, so now I'm looking into alternatives.

Background:
When I was 16 I went on Yaz. When I went in for my checkup a year later my doctor started freaking out because I gained 35 pounds. (I went from 130 to 165). None of my eating habits changed, I was a little less active, but that was not enough to cause me to gain 35 pounds! She took me off that pill and put me on Ortho TriCyclin. I loved this pill. I lost almost all the weight that I gained and was down to 140. I stayed this weight until I started getting stomach cramps and horrifying anxiety. I also started getting fears that I didn't experience before because they were so irrational. I never had this problem before so I went back to my doctor who assured me it had nothing to do with my pill. I did blood tests (check hormone levels), and ultrasounds, with no results. She took me off that pill and put me on LoEstrin. When I switched all the anxiety stopped, and the weight gain started again. Ever since that first spike in my weight I got into the habit of weighing myself every other day.

Now Im starting to realize that I am gaining weight again. Not to the extreme as last time. I have only been on this pill for a couple months. I keep reading that "weight gain is a myth" but there is no other way I see how else this is happening. I am now a very active person. No matter how far i run its not coming off.

I was looking into the Patch and other birth control methods because I really do not want to go back to using condoms. I also do not want to have a nuva ring or anything that I have to place "in there" (it doesn't sound appealing to me).

Does anyone who has had this problem, or a similar problem help me out?! should I keep trying other pills (I know there are a lot out there).

I think You need Regular Exercise  to increase Metabolism activity

I do. And I'm hypoglycemic so I have to eat small meals every couple hours. I'm not over weight so that's a huge jump for me

As we know that there are several reasons for huge bumps like too much fluid , if you are midwife , diabetes and identical twins. Can you show out your diet plan here? I want to know that which meals you are taking in your diet.

A lot of time it's water that's being held in caused by the hormones and water weighs a little more than fat, but not much.

You can try a different pill by try one that uses a different type of progesterone and estrogen. There's more than one synthetic form. If you've done this already then look into IUDs or the shot. Good luck

I was thinking it would be water weight, simply because it came on and off so fast. Could it be that the hormones "build up" in a wayglobular

I sometimes eat oatmeal in the morning or fruits and veggies throughout the day sometimes some bread (wholewheat), usually salad and some type of meat at night. Ive been eating the same for the last year and a half and have stayed at a healthy weight until recently..

plainolme wrote:

Treece wrote:

Have you tried ortho tricyclin lo? That's what I used and I lost weight.