Can anyone help me. I had a total colectomy about 3 years ago. Since then I have gained 40 pounds. I find that I am hungry more since the surgery. I don't eat alot. I try to watch my calories and fats and walk on a treadmill 3-4 days a week. I used to drink alot of soda but have almost completely cut them out of my diet. What else can I do to lose this weight. It is so discouraging.
My colectomy was due to chronic constipation. I have had no complications from the surgery except this.
Any help would be appreciated.

I just had a colectomy 2 months ago, and have also found myself much more hungry than I was before the surgery. While I haven't gained weight at this time, I am worried about it as I lost around 90 lbs a couple years ago, and don't want to gain it back.

I had a total colectomy in 1999. Since then I have gained 48 pounds. I really wish I knew why this is such a problem or what I can do to fix the issue. Is it just a nutritional deficiency that causes you to be hungry all the time?

]Hi, I've got the same problem! Went to Docs on two occasions because my weight has been increasing since my sub total colectomy in Aug 2006.
She couldn't give me any reason other than "Perhaps you are absorbing your food better now that you had the problem removed". I must be truthful, I do enjoy my food better, but it's getting ridiculous, 30lbs in 2 years! I'm wearing clothes 2 sizes up now, and caught sight of myself in shop window, how depressing! Boy, do I feel it, lugging all this about! o.O :-| IS THERE A MEDICAL REASON FOR IT, or is it just gluttony??

I had a Colectomy performed back in March of 2004 since then I have put on 50 pounds. I have always been one of the lucky ones who was thin but not anymore. I lift weights and do cardio at least (4) times a week and still no results in the weight loss department. My Doctors tell me that the surgery should not be causing my weight gain and that I need to work out more and decrease my calories, (seems to be their answer for everything!)
I'm very frustrated and would just like some answers. 8-|

:-( I recently had a colinectomy in May, 2009 and went into the hospital at a gained weigt to 163 lbs from 145. Since my surgery I have no problems with going to the bathroom as the surgery was due to a colonic inertia. I just have an added weight gain of 15 mor lbs. I had been off of all flour and sugar for seven years and had gone down to a range between 140 and 145 for th epast seven years. My stomach became bloated and I could not go to the bathroom without a stimulant so the surger was suggested. If anyone has an answer to this sudden weight gain that seems to be spreading the hips, please advised.

Same problem with me - had a colectomy 6 months ago, put on 15 kilos with eating a third of food I used to. Can't move too much due to pain in the tummy, constant gas and bloating, constipation is even worse. My kidneys can't work too well anymore either - I retain most of the water, no salt or anything in the diet. What should I do? I found Movicol helps a bit with passage, but the burning sensation inside is a mystery.

If anyone knows what's happening, please let me know. I have been in bed for 3 months now, and can't get up. It is worse now than after surgery.

I had a total colectomy due to colonic inertia in July 09. I was in the hospital for 4 days and came home with no problems. I have to watch what I eat but can pretty much eat what I want. Some things don't digest very well, come out same way it went in. I also have trouble with weight gain and I'm unable to loose weight. I just recently learned that I no longer absorb my medications such as pills. I pass them whole. My Family Dr was a little stumped on that one, but prescribed me with liquid meds and it has made a difference. I have days when I go everytime I eat and it's all liquid no solids. I have learned I can't eat Taco Bell on the go, I have to be home. I wish I would have had more information prior to my surgery about what comes after, but I am surviving. I wish I could loose this weight, but nothing seems to be working. Any help would be great.

I had a subtotal colectomy in Sept 2008 and also have gained weight since. I want to lose it because I am now the heaviest I have ever been. But, I have also been unsuccessful in losing weight. I am at least glad to know I am not the only one with this problem. You would think with the way things "run through" you after this surgery, that you would lose weight, not gain!!

I had a subotal colectomy with a permanent ileostomy June 2007 for severe colonic inertia. I feel so much better than I did before the surgery and my energy is amazing, however,since then I have gained over 50 lbs. I weigh more now then the day I delievered both of my daughters. I have also found that I am more swollen than before. I have always been naturally thin and now I cannot even recognize myself in the mirror due to weight gain. After delivering my last daughter in Feb, 2007 I wore a size 10 tall. I am now a size 16!!! Doctors have performed blood work and everything is normal. I'm glad that I am not alone!

Ok, I thought I was on this boat alone. 18-months and 20 pounds later what is a person to do. I have always been a weight conscious person. My doctor told me that I would lose 20 pounds after the surgery... I am still waiting - except now I need to lose 40 - but 10 would be nice. If there is anyone with any suggestions - please let me know.

I have tried everything from Weight Watchers, South Beach, Spark People... you name it I have tried it... but the weight keeps finding me.

I had my total colectomy in Nov 2009, and gained about 30 lbs since. But the last month I went on a diet and counted my calories, and have been able to lose 10lbs the last month. I had ulcerative colititis for ten years prior to surgery and I practically had everything I could put in front of my face, I was always in good shape, but now that I am 34, no longer have UC, I have to watch what I eat. I still go to the bathroom at leat 6 times day, but its manageable and doesnt affect my life. Losing weight is all about calories in, calories out, nothing more.

Had total colectomy in 2006 due to 10 years of ulcerative colitis. Have gained 50 pounds since. I am totally perplexed with my inability to loose being vegan and getting exercise on most days. Soooooo glad I am not the only one. Here's what I'm thinking: since the colon absorbs water and salt, it stands to reason that we are craving those very things, not having an efficient absorbing aparatus. :-) Am gonna try drinking salt water every time I feel like eating. Wish me luck.

I had a total collectomy back in 2007 due to ulserative colitus but have had an energy deficency since. I now eat a lot less food but need to drink a lot of water. I have found Quaker Oats to be a great help in the morning to settle things down and keep the weight regulated. I have tried to find a nutritionist who can help but with no luck. Has anyone else had the same experience.

I am so glad to hear that I am not alone in this battle. I am a 26 yo female. I had a colectomy (resection so no bag) at 24. I have had Crohns disease since 17 and the colon was removed due to pre-cancerous cells. I have gained about 40 lbs since surgery. Ive always been bigger but have now become obese for my height. Not only is it depressing it's a financial burden as well. (buying new clothes) My doctor told me that the actual removal will get rid of 10lbs...I weighed myself as soon as I could walk to find I was the same weight. Ive tried green tea and other supplements but sadly things like that dont effect us the same. I was going uncontrollably. I dont even eat that much to begin with but some how these 40 lbs have truely ruined my life. To be honest, if I didn't have a chance of developing colon cancer, I wouldve stayed miserable and 40 pounds lighter. Ive been considering going "back under the knife" but to get rid of my new "pouch". I just hate to think of myself as being the vein.
I hope something can be done!