Hello, I have some extra weight, I gain it after I gave birth. I could not get to my previous weight, even though I have tried a lot of different things. I also have constipation problems and irregular defecation. Since this bothers me a lot, I have started taking Metamucil. My question is - does drinking metamucil help you lose weight at all or gain weight?

Metamucil is a laxative that acts by filling the intestinal space, activates its motions, which lead to eliminating constipation. Also, time that food needs to go through the stomach is normalized and prevents excessive water absorption from colon, and this prevents creation of a firm stool. Metamucil does this thanks to its structure (he is made of some plant fibers). So, Metamucil can only help with losing weight.

I would also like to add that Metamucil expands quite a bit with water (add too much powder and you will see thick goop). That means it can take up a good amount of volume in your stomach, making you feel more full. Take it before a meal, and you will probably find that you feel more satisfied eating smaller amounts of food! That is always a good thing when you are trying to stick to a diet.

I believe psyllium helps the body maintain a healthy weight, but it leans a little bit more towards weight loss. It should not be used for weight gain. 

Does metamucil helps with losing weight?

Phoenix_Down wrote:

Ever since I have been taking Metamucil I cannot lose those extra pesky 4 lbs. that I've gained even though my eating habits are the same and maybe even less. I also feel bloated most of the time.

Have you had your thyroid checked?  I had a hard time losing the last 10 pounds of weight after I gave birth.  Almost a year later, I found out I was hypothyroid.  Constipation is a symptom. 

Theoretically it seems that Metamucil would could cause smoe weight loss, however in my case, I have no doubt that it causes me to gain up to 10 lbs when taken with frequency (twice a day for 2 weeks) It definitely works for regularity, but sorry to say that I puff up on the stuff really quick. I'm assuming that it's do to water retention, but hey weight gain and tighter fitting cloths...still not good

I have the exact same problem. I take metamucil for high cholesterol, but I have gained 3 or 4 lbs after taking this and I have a LOT of painful gas bubbles in my intestines all day long...bloating. Not sure it's worth it.

You likely have a gluten sensitivity. Gluten can also cause constipation.

Not true... It makes you gain weight

How could fibre make you gain weight ??? It's hard for me to believe that ....

I agree, it will cause weight gain. It your bowel movements dont change it frequency, then where does all that thick fiber go? Plus I stayed thirsty, which in turn cause me to stay bloated. I stopped useing it, and my weight went back down. I stick to fruits and veggies for fiber.

All I know is that I felt and heavier, I started drinking it reading the the health benifits of it. Don't have a constipation problem. Very weight consious, just felt this might be something healthy to try. Barhroom habits stayed the same, only thing different was this mixture I was drinking, I was eating the same (carefully) but after a month I had gain some.weight . Not letting that happen,so I discontinueed it. And in about a month (about the amount of time I used it). My weight was going back down. Not knocking this it might be great for some, can't go for the weight gain. Everybody's different.

And I gained a belly since I have been taking Metamucil!!!