Hi, Can anyone tell me of they have taken tramadol during pregnancy and what the outcome come has been with your baby?

Hello. I am sorry I dont have any further information that you but I am equally interested in hearing from anybody in this situation who has had their baby.
I have just found out that I am pregnant, not sure how many weeks yet because my periods have been so irregular that I cant actually remember when the last one was. I am having a scan tomorrow so I hope that will answer that question. I am also waiting to see what advice I will be given regarding the medication I am on which includes 400mg slow release Tramadol per day, prescribed for chronic pancreatitus.
There seems to be so many conflicting opinions on this it would be nice to hear from someone with experience.

Dear Greenstreetd, Thanks for your reply and congratulations on your pregnancy. Could you let me know what your doctor advises you to do? I have also read conflicting reports about taking tramadol during pregnancy. I know that it a category C medication meaning that studies have only been done on animals and that high doses can be damaging to the baby. On the other hand, people have reported that they were on the medication (as prescribed by their doctor) throughout their pregnancyand that their baby was ok upon birth but not sure if there were any long term issues. I am six months pregnant and have struggled with coming off the meds...taking from 2 to 4 pills a day. I have had several ultrasounds showing absolutley no physical issues with the baby. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Hi havefaith. Thankyou! I went for my scan yesterday which showed not much at all in fact - they reckon i am about 5 or 6 weeks pregnant so really early days.

The doctor at the hospital has advised my to stop taking the tramadol completely. From what i can gather, I dont think anyone really knows what the effects can be on humans. My cousin is a doctor but she is not an expert in this field. She says that there have been studies on animals, as you say, which have shown adverse effects on the foetus, but nothing on humans. What she says is that the current advice is not too use tramadol unless the benefits outweigh the risks, which isnt a great deal of good!

Is it chronic pain that makes it hard for you to stop taking tramadol, or the withdrawl effects? A bit of both i guess. I took none yesterday but found that in the middle of the night I woke up and could not sleep, my legs were so restless and i could not relax. I ended up taking 2 tablets and a sedative - I told the doctor this morning at my appointment. She sympathised but said that i must stop taking them.

I am not sure if this is helping you really, except that we in kind of the same situation I guess. I suppose you, and I, must decide whether the benefit outweighs any risks, which we nothing about really at the moment, and go from there. I dont want to feel guilty and beat myself up every time I take a tablet..

Take care. greenstreetd

I greatly appreciate your response. Yes...it's a combination of both that make it difficult to stop but truth be told, I am having a harder time with withdrawl. I feel horribly guilty but will try. I wish you the very best and hope you have a beautiful healthy baby. :-D

Thankyou. And you also...