My doctors do not seem to know how the use of Oxycodone will affect my baby. I am asking this because I am so much worried about this. I want to know if I am addicted to Oxycodone what will happen during my pregnancy. Off course, I mean if I continue to use the medication near or through my due date. I would appreciate any info about this because I would like to stop being addicted if that might harm my baby.

I was also wondering if there is any research on the effects of Oxycodone at addicted mother on a new born. I was mother that has taken this medication so I was afraid how I am going to continue with therapy during pregnancy. I was also wondering are there any other alternatives in my treatment to help ensure the health of my baby? I was always hoping there must be some doctors out there who have had to deal with something like what I was going through. One thing that you would like to know is that opiates are well known to be virtually benign in terms of their effect on the body. Unfortunately, that is rare some drug is benign during pregnancy. That is why I would not worry about causing birth defects at your baby. Off course, that would be the case if you were drinking or doing crack, but Oxycodone is better. I know that when heroin addicts become pregnant, it is customary not to detoxify them, due to the risk of precipitating premature labor. However, when the baby is born, he or she is at risk of going into opiate withdrawal, and the opiate withdrawal syndrome can be treated in neonates with tincture of opium.

I have noticed a few post concerning the use of oxycodone, and addiction to this drug.

I have been using this drug for chronic pain control for over two years.

If anyone has as addictive profile, or a tendency toward addiction, they might get addicted to this drug, however, most users of this drug for legimate medical purposes, without exibiting symptoms of the posted side effects, according to extensive research on the internet, can effectively use this drug for pain control for extended periods of time without serious side effects. Keeping in mind that every drug has undesireable side effects.

I have read research and doctor's comments that claim that oxycodone is actually better for the body that NASIADS, tylenol, and other popular medications used for pain control over an extended period of time.

I am not a doctor, therefore cannot dispense medical advice.

I am just a 73 year old patient, with chronic back pain, pancreatitus, and pain from arthritus that has used this drug for over two years for pain control and have done quite a bit or research on the subject of the use, and abuse of oxycodone.

I was also weiry of addiction, however, I have not experienced any addictive symptoms, and do not exceed the prescribed dosage.

It is very important, however, that the drug be used exactly as it is prescribed, and never split, or crush the medicine before taking it, as this can be very dangerous. And never exceed what your doctor prescribes.

There is extensive information available on the internet about this medication, and before anyone begins this form of therapy, it would be a good idea to obtain as much information as they can before beginning. And naturally consult a competent doctor that you trust.

Doctors nowadays tend to practive "defensive" medicine. Some doctors, even though they know the drug can help people with their pain, are reluctant to prescribe it for their patients, to protect themselves firstly, and worry about the pain of the patient afterwards.

Oxycodone, I think, has been given a bad rap due the people that abuse the drug, but any drug can be abused. And addicts can get addicted to asprin if they really want to.

I am posting this so that those of you that have pain control problems, that are effectively managed by oxycodone therapy, knows of at least one case that the drug is effective, and not addictive, and no serious side effects have been experienced.

If you have a doctor that does not effectively help you control your chronic pain effectively, then get another one that isn't afraid to prescribe whatever is necessary to help you. This especially true if you are diagnosed as terminal.

Doctors are like everyone else. Some are concerned about their patients, and others are concerned about their stock portfolio. A patient that suffers from chronic pain needs help, not excuses. And with some patients oxycodone is the answer.

I hope this helps.

longknife

Hi Helmer,

Your post is quite old but will say that oxycodene is excreted in mother's milk, if you breast feed your baby.

longknife

I am 1 25 year old mother of two young children, and just found out that i am 5 weeks pregnant.i have been taking oxycodone for about 2 years, and am pretty sure i am addicted.My doctor seems to think that it wont hurt the baby if i continue to take it during and after the pregnancy,but i'm not sure i agree.If it has such strong effects on me, what could it do to a tiny unborn baby, but i get really sick when i try to quit,i vomit,shake and get moody anf angry and violent.Can ANYONE PLEASE help me on this subject????????

I am foster parent who received a 3 day old baby who tested positive to crack. She is now one year old and I have just discovered that her mother, in addition to being addicted to cocaine/crack had taken oxycotton through out her pregnancy as well.

I am having a difficult time finding info w/regard to long term effects for this child (if any) and wondering if anyone new a reliable website or other source....

I'm 22 and I injuried my back very badly when I was 10 then again when I was 16 to two different accidents. I've been on oxycodone for 3 years now, I am currently 8 months pregnant and I too was extremely concerned about what affects this may have on my baby. I went to see many doctors about this due to my concerns and they all assured me that it would have no affect on my baby. I would stop taking them but if I did I wouldn't be able to get out bed in the morning and I already have to walk with a cane on some occasions, I just can't deal with the pain without the meds. The doctors told me that the baby may go through withdrawals from the meds right after birth but they have a medicine that can be given to the baby to stop any withdrawals they may have. One specialist I saw said she usually deals with heroin addicts who are then put on about 300mg of methadone to help them stop using, which is a crazy amount of drugs to be in your system but I guess it's better then heroin. This doctor also told me she usually starts women on about 6 5mg oxycodone/day while they're pregnant to help deal with the pains associated with being pregnant. My doctors increased the number of pills I take everyday because they said as I get bigger it takes more to get the same amount of relief and the fact that there's a greater strain to my back making the daily pain soo much worse. As long as you're not taking more then you need then you shouldn't worry, I was very scared about being on these pills when I found out I was pregnant, but every doctor has assured me there's no evidence that they will harm him in any way. I do plan on bottle feeding though because obviously I don't want to keep passing the meds to my baby after he's born and once he's out I will then go back on my other medication that I was told are harmful to a fetus and have had to stop taking. Sorry this is kinda long but I hope it helps.

I was relieved to have read your story. My OB has been prescribing me percocet for the last 1/2 of my pregnancy due to back problems i had before gettign pregnant. My primary has also given me scrips for what i thought was a different pain medication (it was percocet without the tylenol) they were both only 5 mg and both doctors only gave 20 every 3 weeks. I have had to go to labor and delivery and a walk in about 5 times over teh past 6 months on the weekends when i was in so much pain i couldn't walk. I"m also 8 months pregnant and one of the nurse midwives at my doctors office has brought up that she is concerned the baby will be born addicted. Everytime i have an appointment I ask if it would be okay to take motrin or if there are any other alternatives to taking this medication( cortizone shots or steroids) I have gone to a chiropractor and a physical therapist and spend about $300 in copays over teh past 6 months for each. My doctor seems to think as long as i stop taking them about a week before my c section that I and baby will be ok.
Recently i went to get one of teh scripts filled and it was too early. I didn't need it yet i actually had about 12 pills left but figured i would drop it off. The pharmacist ended up talking to the concerned midwife and made me feel as though i was doing something wrong. I have NEVER taken this medication more than the recomended 1-2 every 4-6 hours. SO on a bad day i could take up to 6 or 7 but most days i just need 1-2 after the day is over, some days none at all.
I know i should take it easy and not do as much around the house or at work but sometimes i just have to get stuff done.
My question is as long as my doctor isn't concerned i am fine right? Should i not take any? i don't want my baby to be born addicted but it's not like i am gettign these off the street MY GOD they are prescribing them to me...she made me feel guilty for taking them and now she' gotten me concerned.

I have gone through opiate withdrawals, severe mental and physical, i can only imagine how horrible and traumatic this would be for a newborn baby

A newborn in opiate withdrawl are slowly weened off of opiates in a NICU...they do not let the baby "suffer" A newborn sleeps a lot in the first few weeks of life and they can and usually will assist the baby with this so they will experiance very little if any pain. It is much safer for an infant to withdrawl in the NICU under 24/7 medical supervision instead of in the mom uterus while they are trying to grow and develop....A baby feels withdrawl way before the mother does while inutero..there has been quite a bit of studies on this subject and the safest thing for a pregnant woman to do if she was already on opiates is to go on a long acting medication like Methadone during her pregnancy. It is completely safe for the child and if they do experiance NAS they are safely weened in the NICU once born.

I have suffered from stage 4 endometriosis since I was 17. I am 34now, I have one 11 yrs old boy, and I am 5 mos pregnant now. I was told in Las Vegas by my specialist there that I would not be able to conceive another child due to my endo. I have been on the same dose of Oxycodone for 10 yrs and have never changed it. And my pain management doc who is the head of the RX board for the state of NV, and is Chief of staff to 5 hospitals in Vegas, has told me time and time again, that he would not take me off my meds if I got pregnant. That we would be fine. Well I moved to TN, by miracle I did get pregnant, and the doctors here are saying the same thing. Not real concerned they said they would handle the baby if needed in Neonatl and it would be fine. But the nurse at this doc office has totally made me feel like a drug addict and made me feel like I was murdering this baby. She brought me in one day with some girl standing by the door and lectured me saying " you do realize if you stay on this medication, the baby will have an addiction" well my doc already said it would be fine. She just made me feel horrible! I cried so hard. Totally made me feel like a loser. But the effects of coming off of it, would hurt the baby more they said. SO UGH! Good luck to all of you.

I am in the same boat. My nurse practionionar at my OB offce said the same thing. I have been taking this med for a little over a year and the nurse told me to stop cold turkey. I was like no way. So I am on my way to see my OB today and check with him. I hear that there are no side effects to the baby other than withdrawl after they are born. But doctors won't let them withdrawl like that. She made me feel like an addict. I was so pissed. Anyway, good luck to all of you!

I Hve a daughter she is six months pregnant and is hooked on oxycotons what is this doing to the unborn fetus? :-(

I have a lot to say about this post. First of all Southern belle I feel for you. Any doctor that says you can't get pregnant with endometriosis is a liar. It's very difficult but not impossible I hear stories about people conceiving all the time! My mothers friend had two children with endometriosis! My mother went through it when they didn't know enough about the illness. They told her she would never get pregnant again and she did. She miscarried because the doctor didn't ask for a pregnancy test before a pap smear. He was so sure of himself cocky and arrogant. She was unable to sue for lack of evidence. In some cases your better off trusting your instincts and taking advice with a grain of salt.
I have been treated badly by nurses too its not right and don't let them make you think they are so high and mighty. Speak up for yourself. Its not nurses in general its just there are a lot of bad people everywhere don't let one bad apple ruin your day. My aunts ovary burst from a cyst one time and the nurse that was suppose to come in and give her pain medication took the needle and stabbed her in the butt with full force so hard my aunt about fell off the table from jerking from the shock. We insisted she press charges for assault, but she had a long day and wanted home. She had a bruise the size of a tennis ball green black and blue.
Kaydopuppy, I feel we have a lot in common I wish we could talk more about what your going through. I am also on oxycontin for about five months now. I have an ankle injury from when I was 19. I am 26 now and want to have a baby. I am worried that I cannot breathe without my pain medication screaming in bed for 9 months might kill me. I have been hunting online for a year now for other options. I keep coming up short. I have a hard time trusting doctors. All I can do is keep searching. Please reply about how labor and delivery go for you I would really appreciate it. Good Luck and God Bless.

Let me start off by saying I was in your shoes exactly one year ago. - did. Tons
of research and spoke with meany doctors and they all gave me the same answe
r. Methadone. I was 12 weeks along when I found out I was pregnant and
Obviously had been using not knowing. Detoxing off of he oxycodone is not only
Dangerous and painful for you, but most importantly can kill ur baby. So I took their
Advice and started going to the methadone clinic every single day. Not only was it keeping
Me well but it was keeping my son well too. 6 months later (oct 2008) I delivered
A perfectly healthy baby boy. Everything we put into our bodies goes directly to them as
Well and continuing the oxyCodone full term could cause serious physical and
Mental growth defects which you do not want. My baby is beautiful healthy and extremely
Happy as a 5month old now. I urge and beg any preg woman on any opiods to rush to the
Nearist clinic tomorrow because it is the absolute only way to not only guarantee that you will
Not miscarry, but it will also prevent any devastating mental defects that the child will suffer
Permanently.