I've been taking 30 mg of Ritalin for 5 years. Two months ago I found out that I was pregnant and stopped taking it. Now that i'm in my 2nd trimester and the pregnancy has settled in, my ADD is acting up again. I can't focus at work and it's stressing me out and making me crazy.

i've started taking 10 mg a day (only) to get through the work day. I semi feel guilty because I don't want to injure my baby but need to feel good about myself and my work too.

Has anyone on this board taken or known people who have stayed on Ritalin during their pregnancy. Thanks for any advice

I have been on Ritalin for some time as well, it really helped me a lot, but I know what psychical addiction it makes and I know how hard is to say no to taking it! I know it is now hard for you to say no to is, neither when it’s your baby due, but as it’s a strong medication, I would sincerely suggest not to take it anymore, it still hasn’t been scientifically tested how it affects the baby but according to its powerful effect, I believe it could do harm to the baby! I think it’s way better to try to avoid taking it, you consult your doctor about some light substitute for Ritalin, maybe this could have the same effect but could be less harmful. You should think on your baby’s health, you shouldn’t be playing games with it, you know that! Be strong and determined and everyhring will work out for you in a good way! Good luck!

I also suggest that you see a doctor. Trial evidence in animals points to defects in the fetus if taken at high doses, but not enough is known and has not been trialed on pregnant humans. It is also not known if the drug is transmitted through breast milk and it is strongly reccommended that if a mother is on Ritalin that she not breastfeed.

I was diagnosed with ADD at age 8 and was started on Ritalin then. I continue to take Ritalin to this day. At 27, I got pregnant. My perinatalogist said I could stay on the Ritalin through my entire pregnancy (I take 20 mg twice a day). This was a great relief because I work as a critical care nurse and cannot do my job safely without taking Ritalin. He also told me I would have to stop taking the Ritalin at least 3 days prior to delivery so the baby could detox inutero. He said it would OK if I didn't stop it and the baby would do fine on her own, but he preferred she detox while I was supporting her. I had a scheduled C-section, so I knew when she would be born at 39 weeks. I stopped taking the Ritalin 6 days prior to delivery and she detoxed on day 3. She was very active that day--more so then usual and I was very tired. But other then that, it was tolerable. She was born healthy and is 17 months old without any side effects. I would do it again if we decided to have another baby.

I hadn't thought about ritalin affecting the child but it makes snese that it does. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get off it so easily to help your baby and I think that your insight is invaluable. Thanks for posting!

I also have been taking Ritalin since high school. I see that you posted this topic 7yrs ago & am basically replying in hopes that you will be able to ease some of the guilt I have been harboring since finding out I was pg. My story is a bit different, although. I suffered severe brain damage which caused uncontrollable nerve damage leading to stiffness & pain ten years ago. Since then I was taking prescribed pain medication. Because of the pregnancy I was taken off of those meds & referred to soboxin. After finding out the effects soboxin really can have on an unborn child my doc & I decided to just completely take me off of any opiates. My doctor told me it was ok to take my 20mg daily dose of Ritalin to help me off of those notorious opiates. Fact of the matter is 20mg was not my usual dose per day so while it did help somewhat I would, & still do, on occasion take an extra 20mg tablet in addition to from what I call my "emergency jar" (a travel med case containing pills I didn't end up taking or needing from past scripts). After finding out all the evils that came along with opiates I discarded those immediately so they wouldn't temp me during pregnancy. I did,however, keep my extra Ritalin. So my question is... Did you have a normal delivery &/or any birth defects caused by your use of Ritalin during pregnancy?

Was your baby born ok? I am in a similar position, but am in my first trimester