I am suffering from acute depression. My psychologist gave me drug name paxil as treatment. The trouble is that I am going to have a baby. I have heard that there are some risks for baby health if I continue taking this medication. Doctor thinks that I should continue taking it. What should I do? Are there some side effects of paxil during pregnancy?

There is 3-5% chance of having a baby with the birth defect. But you should know that if you stop taking this medication you can also have problems due to your condition. If your depression is left untreated during pregnancy then there are possibilities for miscarriage, preeclampsia, low birth weight and preterm delivery. So the only two persons that could decide what to do are you and your doctor. There are risks for heart defects, pulmonary hypertension and other complications if you stay on paxil treatment.