Hi there,

My doctor prescribed me Tramadol for acute pain I am having in my hip due to osteoarthritus & loss of cartiledge. I'm on the waiting list for a hip replacement but it will take a year or two.

I was taking aspirin, paracetemol & codine, then moved to mobic, paracetemol & codine. I was concerned about becoming addicted to codine as I had ramped up to 30mg 3xday. My doctor prescribed me 200mg slow release Tramadol x1 per day.

I took my first Tramadol this morning at 9am. By 12pm I was shaking, feeling dizzy and totally bombed so I lay on the couch. Soon after I started feeling nauseous so rang the hospital to check I had not taken too much. The nurse I spoke to was not very knowlegable about Tramadol and could only look it up and read me pretty much what I already knew from googling - that my symptoms matched the description of a 'reaction' to the drug.

I spent the next several hours vomiting and after that stopped I stayed on the couch feeling bombed, dizzy & nauseous for a couple more.

Really glad it's over. Will not take Tramadol again. It has occurred to me that it could have been Codine withdrawal, but I've only been on a high dose of Codine for 1 week. I also worried that I may have withdrawal from Tramadol if I don't take it tomorrow, but don't have much choice.

Just wanted to let people know that maybe 200mg is too high a dose to start on with Tramadol. Also, anyone with experience with this drug to share, your advice would be much appreciated.
;-)

I'm not sure when you posted this, but I wanted people to be able to see this too.

I was prescribed tramadol after seeing an emergency doctor (3pm Sunday). I have fibroids and am in acute pain almost constantly. I had taken my daily dose of co-codamol (30/500) and NSAIDS 10mg.

I was advised to take tramadol through the rest of the day but after reading the warnings I decided to leave until after I had slept, and took just two more co-codamol at 9pm..

I took 2 Tramadol at 5am Monday morning.

I woke up at 7 to get my children ready for school, I felt drunk, wobbly legs, couldn't stand up straight or still. My head was a little dizzy, but I was in that happy happy place of just a little too much alcohol ( I don't drink often, and haven't in over a month). Half an hour later I was on the back door step, head between my knees wishing to die! Dizzy doesn't cover it, felt incredibly sick, clammy, hot then cold, tummy felt like it was in constant spasms, all my muscles felt like they had turned to jelly, I couldn't stand up at all..... The list goes on. I had to get someone to take my children to school, lay down and slept until 11am. I didn't feel any better until a good 10 hours later, even then I still didn't feel safe to drive, cook or do anything that demanded attention. I will never use these again!

Ugghh. Same here. I will never take Tramadol again. I took 100mg before going to bed. I woke up and upon standing up, immediately became so light headed that I thought I was going to pass out. I sat down and my head was just swimming. All of a sudden it looked like I had just got out of the shower. I was sweating so bad that I was dripping. I laid down and the effects went away and I fell asleep. I woke up 5 hours later and felt ok.....until I got up again. Same thing. Went back to sleep for another 5 hours. As I write this, I have been up for a few hours now and I feel allright. It was scary. I will never, ever use Tramadol again. I would rather be in pain.

I was prescribed Tramadol for a horrible pain in my knee. I am supposed to take 1-2 tablets 4x's a day. Took one tablet at 10pm Monday night, woke up at 7:30 to get my kids ready for school and felt so dizzy I had to lay back down. I had that " I need to puke" feeling al day. Felt hot & sweaty and everytime I lifted my head up I felt like I was gonna pass out. This went on until about 6 pm that day...Sure the pain went away but the side effects were horrible. Will NEVER take again...

Uhhgg. I was prescribed Tramadol for tooth pain. I took 1 at 10pm and 1 at 5am. I tried to get up for work at 9am and could barely walk I was so shakey and jelly-like. Went back to sleep (after emailing work to tell them I'd be in later). Woke up at noon, went to the bathroom and got very hot and sweaty and felt like vomiting. This persisted for most of the day (until about 6:30 at night) with some vomiting. It's 9:30pm now and I still feel weak and slightly dizzy. Having tooth pain is much better than this! I won't ever take it again!

husband is in the middle of suffering the bad side affects after taking just 1 tablet
dizzy,sweating,nausia,being sick
he took his tablet at 11pm last night and i've been awake with him since 6am so hope he feels better soon

I had the same nasty reaction last. I was up all night with weird dreams, scratching my arms and neck, and dizzy/nausea. I also had cold clammy sweats, like impending doom. It's almost 8 am and I am still feeling 'hung over'.

Same bad reaction here. I took this only on occasion, for back pain, and as stupid as it sounds, I thought I caught the flu after the first two times I took it (about 3 weeks apart). Then, two nights ago, I took it again, had a moment's thought about the last time, remembered it was "the flu" and spent all day yesterday sick as a dog in bed. Vomiting, sweats, chills, nausea, headache, weakness.....all much worse than the back ache I took it for. I am so glad I found this posting because the "side effects" listed for this drug do not sound at all as bad as what we have experienced. In fact, many of the symptoms are heart attack symptoms and at one point, I wondered if I was having one. I think the manufacturers of this drug need to get the word out about how bad the side effects can be for some patients. Those published greatly understate the case.

Took 100mg tramadol last night before bed - so ill - dizzy, wiped out, nausea, scratching my skin all over all night, hot sweats. Morning no better. Too ill to open my shop and its Saturday. Now 8.30pm feeling a lot better but very weak with a headache. Never Again. I'll live with the pain.

Judi

I had a very very scary reaction to Tramadol yesterday, I felt like I couldn't' breathe and was dizzy and felt like I was about to go out. My heart did weird things and the not getting my breathe lasted for over 8 hrs. I cant' take that any more. :'(

Hi all! I'm in extreme pain with my left leg. The doctors think it's a prolaps disc or a really bad case of siatica. I was given tramadol Friday morning. 50g, I took 2 at 11am and 2. At 3.30pm. By 5.30 I called an ambulance out. God! Did I feel Ill! I have just been told to go back on them. Any advice?

Hi. I was just prescriped 200 mg slow release Tramadol under the brand name Ralivia for post-op pain. Luckily for me I was only prescriped 10 pills because it's not covered under my drug plan. I had received two small doses in the hospital before going home with my prescription. The first day of taking my prescription I was extremely sick so moments after taking my pill I threw it up. I didn't bother taking another one because I was throwing up non-stop all day and wasn't sure if any of the drug had managed to stay in my system in the short time between taking it and throwing up. My second day on the prescription I'd once again been in the hospital most of the day due to my throwing up and other flu/viral symptoms so didn't take my dose until much later in the day so again I never really noticed any reaction. Yesterday however was my third day taking it and I took it this morning. It wasn't very long before I realized I couldn't stop scratching. My itchiness intensified throughout the day where I was constantly scratching and very "twitchy". Then in the afternoon I noticed that I started getting very agitated, almost jumpy and very quick to snap at my daughter if it took her too long to finish a sentence. This was followed by a big burst of energy that I found best channelled by cleaning the house and when there was nothing left to do I was still on edge and the best word to describe it is "twitchy". I started talking to my husband and noticed I was talking really fast and rambling.  Before too long I started feeling nauseous and just sort of crashed falling asleep on the couch. I ended up sleeping off and on for four hours (luckily my daughter is well-behaved and I could still wake up when she asked for something). Even when I woke up I was exhausted and out-of-sorts for the rest of the night and kept dozing off at various times. The nausea continued off and on and I was getting cold chills as the night wore on. When I went to bed for the night I also started getting cold sweats. I didn't sleep well and every time I woke up I found myself wiping the sweat off my face and chest and I wasn't even hot. I'm definitely not taking today's dose and going to talk to my pharmacist about it.

My husband also had a bad reaction after taking Tramadol. He was prescribed the pill after a hip operation. He would keep me awake all night shaking, talking in his sleep and having hallucinations. After three days i phoned our local GP, he told him to stop taking Tramadol, and gave him another pain killer instead. I'm not saying Tramadol is bad. My Mother in law took it with no problem, but I'd say it doesn't suit everyone!

I just had the same reaction today on 100 mg of tramadol Felt v sick but so far not actually sick feel as though going to faint and I am slurred speech shaky Spoke to doc who said I do not tolerate the drug and to stop taking it Horrible experience Sometimes cure is worse than illness!

I started taken Tramadol 50 mgs yesterday, Had the sweats shakes fever and twice felt as though i would pass out. Woke up this morning looking like i have spent hours in the hot sun. My skin is burning and itching so bad. It has now been 18 hours since my last dose and no relief in site! Will NEVER take this medicine again. I agree I'd rather be in pain!