Hi, I was told that Tramadol is a non-addictive drug and that I can take it without any concern. Now, I am positive that it is not right. Why isn’t addiction indicated among side effects?

Hi, I have been taking Tramadol as it was supposed to be a non-addictive drug. It is a prescription pain relief medication. Tramadol is a synthetic analgesic, and it can be used if a person is experiencing side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs. It affects certain parts of the brain and spinal column and inhibits spreading of the pain. The pain signal is reduced, so it’s intensity decreases. Chronic pain is a particularly delicate question, because people need to learn ways to live with it. Tramadol is shown to be very effective in dealing with chronic pain.

Its very sad to think some belive people can "live with the pain" True chronic pain is life altering and cannot just be "lived with". I deal with it everyday.

I agree with Monte, pain affects everybody differently, I have chronic (unliveable) pain from Myalgia encephalomyletis(neurological/immuno - for the ppl who dont know what that is). Over the past 4 yrs I have presented/exhibited several symptoms, I still have to have regular blood tests because of the swelling and pain in lymph glands. But the one symptom that is the killer is the chronic muscular & skeletal pain - I am unable to take anti inflammatories so my doc usually prescribes tramadol. You can not learn to live with that pain, it affects my day to day duties - even conversing with ppl is hard because I am sometimes unable to concentrate from pain. The only thing I will advise anyone - if you dont need tramadol dont take it, I only take it when I can no longer deal with the pain. My doc told me it was addictive so I am very mindfull of this warning. It is a doctors responsibility to make patients aware of addictive pain relief and it is the patients responsibility to adhere to the warning. The moral is simple - dont take unless you are in pain and if you find yourself mentally craving/desiring it then stop and see your doctor immediately.

It's a common misconception that Tramadol is not addictive, obviously the manufacturers have helped to support this notion by saying the drug has a "low abuse potential" but many people mistake this to mean the drug is not addictive.

I have some experience with Tramadol so I will try to explain about the addiction potential and how it compares to opiates like Codeine..

The reason Tramadol is considered less likely to be abused is because the onset of the drug is much slower than Codeine and other opiates. It typically takes an hour before the effects are felt, and about 3 to 4 hours before peak effects are felt. The effects come on gradually and the feeling of euphoria is much more subtle compared to Codeine, dose for dose. Tramadol also effects the adrenalin receptors in the brain, which gives a kind of speedy/caffeine type effect. For some people this may cause anxiety or restlessness and may be considered a negative effect which for some, may discourage them using Tramadol recreationally for an opiate-type high.

That said, Tramadol does create feelings of emotional well-being and a buzz in the same way Codeine does, but it also has an anti-depressant effect and acts like an SSRI anti-depressant drug. This can help lift mood and creates a more positive and "energetic" mental state. These effects last a long time after the drug is taken, typically 10 to 12 hours. When you consider these effects it's easy to see how Tramadol could easily be habit-forming. Anyone taking Tramadol on a daily basis for a period of time could become accustomed to the positive feelings and develop a habit by becoming psychologically dependent.

There are also MANY well documented opiate-type withdrawal symptoms associated with Tramadol when taken regularly for a long period of time, including seizures. Tramadol is not intended for long-term use (beyond 2-3 months) without the supervision of a doctor.

As a Pharmacist in Australia I see problems with Tramadol first hand. Tramadol is addictive. Initially it may help with pain/mood/energy but this soon diminishes. Patients need to take more to get the same effect (tolerance) and than have real trouble stopping it (major withdrawal syndrome). Withdrawal is worse the longer the duration of treatment and the higher the doses involved. I have patients who cannot stop taking Tramadol as it has become easier to keep taking it than face the horrid withdrawals. ADRAC (who deals with adverse reactions/problems with prescription medication in Australia) is receiving more reports every year of "withdrawal syndrome" seizures etc to do with Tramadol's increasing usage. If given the option avoid taking this drug. If you do have to take it, take it for as little time possible.

I have many health issues. From a double back fusion that never fused, thoraic arota anyerism to serve arthris,0steroposis and other mental problems. Was diagnosed as bi polar w personality disorder, mulitple personalities to sizo. Was on a cocktail of OxyContin and morphine,soma,Valium ,roxycodone etc for 5 yrs . Then sober for 7 living in pain. Then my primary doctor gave me Tramadol and for the first time I have less pain and felt normal emotionally. I live in Mahwah New Jersey. It helps so much better then all the surgeries and drug cocktails I had been on. I call it my wonder drug. One kind if pill does it all for me physically and mentally. At least try it. It's so worth it. My life is so much better because if it.

I've been taking Tramadol regularly for the past few months for chronic back pain.  I feel Tramadol's biggest benefit, at least for me, is the anti-anxiety aspect of it.  My anxiety levels are low when taking this drug.  It almost has a mild, chilled-out THC type buzz to it that lasts all day.  I would definitely say it is habit forming.  I went through withdrawal one night and it was the worst night of my life.  For the record I had also stopped taking 10mg hydrocodone at the same time.  When I wake up in the morning, I find myself rushing to the Tramadol bottle.  A couple of those mixed with a couple cups of coffee and I'm ready to conquer the day.

Hi, I have read all your comments & I could not not agree more that chronic pain is not a state of mind that can be controlled E.G pain management. It affects how I live my life. My everyday life, revolves around medications.. After 14 years of being on codeine phosphate, I came on here. Looking to see whether "Tramadol" is less habit forming (addictive) than codeine. I constantly get severe infections in my legs & lower abdomen. 1 gentle bump, brings on a DVT episode (blood clots) from legs to abdomen along with dystonia in the back. When I went to my GP & I am going to highlight this in capitals ""I ASKED FOR SOME PAIN RELIEF. I told my GP all my symptoms. "I was prescribed Codeine Phosphate. I WAS NEVER TOLD ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PAIN KILLER OR THAT IT WAS ADDICTIVE (i only spell in capitals to get this messege to others who are beggining to be prescribed this, to warn you). I was not told it was habit forming. FROM MY GP OR ANY OTHER GP" I learned the hard way. I am now trying to find a medication similar to codeine in it's pain relief & anti convulsive (muscle relaxant) qualities. That is not as addictive as codeine. Though it sounds from users on here that tramadol is just the same. My late wife was on tramadol & codeine switching between the 2 as she never liked the codeine. So I gathered tramadol would be far better than codeine as I am, trying. So hard & failing to come off codeine. The pain is unbearable bringing on depression, lack of concentration (as 1 user quoted (conversing with others/friends becomes near impossible. My advise to anyone going through chronic pain would be to "ASK YOUR GP IF THE MEDICATION THEY ARE GIVING YOU IS ADDICTIVE". I was never told & never really knew what it was. 14 years of trying & failing to come off this med, it's hell.

Then why do the pharmaceutical companies tell us there are opioids in Tramadol now and that it always contained opioids. I was told it was non addictive when they prescribed it to me 14 years ago. Were the opioids added without our knowing?

It is impossible to stop it, without help. The doctor that prescribed it to me 14 years ago said it was not addictive. I am angry because I did not want an addictive drug.

You are not alone. The same thing happened to me. It is very hard to even cut back on it. I suffer from conic pain and am trying to cut back. No one understands how awful you feel . Terrible fatigue and depression.