Hello, my son is 5 years old. I am very scared for him because of his condition – doctor thinks that he suffers from symptoms of childhood leukemia (ALL). There are several more tests that has to be done to confirm this diagnose. This all started with weakness, I thought it was because of his anemia. We tried all we could, but symptoms became worse. I would like to know what are survival rates for childhood leukemia.

Acute lymphoid leukemia is a condition that occurs often in children (mostly 4 – 5 years old children are affected – that is why it is also called childhood leukemia). But it might also happen in the old age. But, there is good news too. About 85% of the children affected have a full recovery and this goes also for about 50% of the adults that have this condition.

Hi there,
It is very unfortunate to hear this. You have to understand that this condition is very dangerous and that the management will be very hard for you and for your son. There is a thing called five year survival rate, in which period after the treatment patient is monitored for reoccurrence of the condition. Now the rates of survival during this period are from 50% to 70%. You have to talk to your doctor about this because you need to find the best treatment option for your son. There has been many research done on this condition so do not lose your hopes. I hope this helped you a bit.

All the best,
Danella