Hello I am a mother of two children. They are twins and are 4 years old now. It looks like my boy is developing slowly. He can’t even put the sentences right, only sometimes. And even then it seems that he did not understand what he said. What is dementia infantilis? A friend told me that might be the problem here?

Dementia infantilis is a condition that occurs in a period of 3 and 4 years of age. It is manifested by the loss of both mental and motoric development. Bladder and bowel control is significantly lost too, making word and sentences is very hard, and the overall social behavior is gone (all that was learned in those couple of years). Sadly, there is no cure…

Hi there,
If I am not mistaking this condition is also called Childhood disintegrative disorder and this condition is very rare. Your child is just in the period when he can get this disorder because it is usually manifested in children older than three years of age. Childhood disintegrative disorder is similar to autism and some doctors will tell you that this is a low form of autism. Many children are already somewhat delayed when the disorder becomes apparent, but these delays are not always obvious in young children. Has your doctor considered any therapies for your child? I don’t know if this can affect the other twin as well. I hope this helped you a bit.
All the best,
Danella