I've been out of work for seven weeks with pain in my neck, left shoulder and left arm. The ER I went to told me I had torticollis, gave me pain meds and sent me home. After four weeks of fighting for an MRI with an orthopedic surgeon, we discovered that C4/5 and C5/6 are herniated, out and to the left, pushing on the nerve. The ortho said he couldn't help me anymore, and sent me to a neurosurgeon who spent 5 minutes with me, told me there was nothing he could do and sent me home. Some of the top surgeons in our area have recommended at-home cervical traction - but won't write the Rx for it, or have said to go to PT - not possible since I cannot drive from the pain. My hand is too weak to grip the steering wheel and I can't look over my left shoulder at all. I finally found a doctor willing to help who says I should have a cervical epidural asap to reduce the pain enough to finish recovery in PT.

I've had spinal taps before and know that the recovery period is crucial to prevent injury. Is it the same with a cervical epidural? Are there risks/complications I need to know about? I'm very nervous about this procedure.