Hi, I'm about to take a very long cross country drive from Sacramento, California where I live to Florida where I'm planning to visit my grandparents. I will be going with my parents in the car. I have trouble with handling long lasting road trips and I almost always have the traveler’s diarrhea while on the road. My mom said that I should take Immodium before we go, and I'm wondering are there any known side effects or precautions that I have to be aware of?

Your mom is right, Immodium should ease the symptoms and make the trip easier for you. It is used to control diarrhea in general including traveler’s diarrhea. You don’t need a doctor’s prescription to purchase it, you can get it as over the counter medicine. Side effects are hard to notice since they are usually incorporated into the usual diarrhea symptoms, some of the side effects are abdominal pain or discomfort, allergic reactions, skin rash, constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, nausea and vomiting, tiredness and so on. You shouldn’t be driving if you take Imodium or do any kind of mentally demanding actions since it can influence your mental awareness. Also if you have a liver condition you shouldn’t take Immodium, if the liver can't process Immodium than it can be very dangerous, causing prolonged circulation of the drug in your bloodstream which can lead to poisoning. There are no known interactions with any other drugs. If you have any of the problems listed above you should consult your general practitioner for advice. I any case you have a nice trip and have a good time in Florida, let us know how the trip went.