I was diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance and Fructose Malabsorbtion just over a year ago. Whilst trying to test which foods and quantities of food I can have, I have increasingly been taking immodium so that I can get to work every day, do the the groceries etc. I'm at the stage now where I am having 6>8 Immodium every day and have been for the last 6 months.

Every time I have been able to go off immodium for a few days I have ended up with flu like symptoms (cold sweats of a night, headaches, aching body, hot and cold flushes) and have always ended up with diarrhorea after a few days. I don't know whether this is because I ate something wrong, or if it's a withdrawal symptom from the immodium.

I would really like to hear from anyone who knows about the long term effects of immodium and it's withdrawal symptoms. I'm at my wits end (and going broke from spending so much on immodium), and really need to know more about this.

Hello! I was also taking Imodium when I suffered from gastroenteritis. I was using for like 10 days only and had no problems with it but I did read about this drug and may have some useful info for you.

It is said that this drug is safe for long-term use if taken in recommended doses, that it doesn’t have any analgesic properties and that it is not addictive. Also, people don’t develop tolerance after a long-term use. Knowing this, one should think that there are no withdrawal effects. However, I did run into an interesting info.

It has been reported that if Imodium is suddenly stopped after a long-term use, it could cause symptoms similar to opiate withdrawal symptoms, so what you have experienced could have been from stopping Imodium. Of course, this is just my conclusion from the info I ran into online, it is not scientific proof.
Talk to your doctor about it!

Hi - Regarding your "withdrawal" reaction to cessation of Immodium use, this is not surprising in light of the chemical similarity between said OTC medication and certain narcotics, most notably fentanyl. Immodium's chemical structure is basically that of a narcotic, only in this case there is minimal penetration of the blood-brain barrier and thus little in the way of narcotic-like effects. However, many people have apparently noticed a mild withdrawal syndrome (just as you described) upon abrupt cessation of regular Immodium use.

the body becomes dependent on immoduim if used for a while. you will get sweats, chills, shaking , trots and will be cold alot of the time. the way around this is to gradually decrease the dose and introduce mebeveraine ( colofac ) which will help solidify your stools and help with bloats and cramps unfortunately it gives you bad wind tho but thats something you can put up with. others won't like it tho lol. stop all diary products and use lactose free products. yoghurts mainly live or probiotic will help. when ingested give it twelves hours to enter the body then you will know if it can be eaten ok. whey is one to watch out for as its high in lactose and its in alot of products and tablets too. This will go straight thru like dynamite. I'm a bodybuilder and used to live on dairy products, my whole lifestyle had to change. Use soy protein only now and all other products are lactose free, Good luck .

Immodium is an opiate that doesnt cross the blood brain barrier. all thats going on with you man is your goin through opiate withdrawal. i've been through it a lot. just keep taking hot showers or access to a jacuzi would be great.

:-D Well hello everyone I have been taking Immodium AD for like 11 years yes everyday for my Anxiety and IBS systems~They still don't know whats wrong with me but now they think I have Endometriosis which I would be so glad if that was it and they could get rid of my Diarrhea~I know I have ulcers because when I eat spicy stuff my stomach will burn~Anyways I'm still here but I noticed that the Immodium at times will make me light headed and sometimes give me cramps like I have a big piece of poo in my right intestine(sorry) THEN the next day(sometimes like 1 in a million) my diarrhea will leave but it(poo) is so big it feels like it's pulling my intestines out(I know gross I'm sorry but true) Anyways I hope everyone doesn't think I'm gross this is the honest truth so if you don't have diarrhea you are blessed I would pay a doctor 500,000 if they cured me but I'm not sure about that now~Take Care~Melany

OMG!! You people need to go to a doctor, and fast! I know you probably tried at least one, but keep tyring until you find one that can help you! Try to find a specialist. Anything you take repeatedly has got to have some enormous, negative side effects. Try a product like "Dairy Smart". It is milk (1%) for lactose intolerance. I have a mild case, and this has helped me enormously.

My heart and soul goes out to all of you. How can you live like this? Prayers that you will find a cure or remedy.

Sad for you in Pittsburgh

I've had colitis for 3 years, I had been taking 2 Imodium tablets everyday to stop myself from going to the toilet, I recently stopped when I found out my rectum was scarred servely and can no longer expand as much as it used too. I'm not sure if this is from taking imodium however I noticed alot of my problem was confidence and the imodium was doing less for me then originally thought.

Taking metamucil also helps if you wanted to try that.

I took immodium in large amounts to get off suboxone. started at 20 to 30 a day, as suggested, and steady increased over a year. THE WITHDRAWAL IS WAY WORSE THAN OPIATES!!! Plus it takes at least 10 to 13 days, as opposed to the five it used to take. DO NOT START IMMODIUM AS TREATMENT!!! TRUST ME

I've been taking Imodium for over 24 years. Over the last year and a half I've taken 20 to 30 tablets a day. Yes a day. I've been to many doctors and specialists, done all the tests, spent thousands and thousands of dollars. The jest of it is, once you have determined that a doctor can not diagnose you then you need to know that you have an addiction. Trying to get off Imodium will give the exact withdrawal symptoms as an opiate. If you are worried about the diarrhea, which stopped me from lowering my dosages then this is how you stop it. Use bentonite clay (lots of it in fluid) and use slippery elm powder with whole psyllium husk and make a gruel (or type of hot cereal). These items will keep your stool formed most of the time till you get over the withdrawal symptoms which are worse than being in hell. Look at other web sites for opiate withdrawals. This will give you the jest of what to expect. All depends on the length of time you've taken and the amount is what you will experience. I'm on my 4th day of being off the Imodium. I'm not able to leave the house. I have sweats, chills, hot flashes, very frequent stool movements, serious insomnia, weak, all over body pain, the shakes, restless leg, depression, and more. You will have the same. Just know that the first 5 days are the worse and you could have symptoms up to 14 days. So take two weeks off work. Put a lot of vitamins, supplements, and supplements into your body before you start. Get the whole psyllium husk and the bentonite clay in bulk and the slippery elm. I take 3 tbls of elm, 2 tbls of husk mixed with hot water and I take it 3 times a day. If you have to choke it down. The bentonite clay I take 2 tsp in water 3 times a day. Basically you are making an adobe brick in your digestive tract. You will have a bloated tummy but don't worry. Anyway if after 21 days off the Imodium and no more symptoms appear but you still have diarrhea then you have either a parasite or bacterial infection. In this case I would use pharmaceutical strength colloidal silver, not the c**p sold in vitamin stores it too weak. Mix it with 1 tsp of husk so it stays in your system when it hits your intestines. This 3 times a day should kill what's bugging you. Make sure to use probiotics during and after because it will kill all your flora.
So just know this Imodium which is Loperamide Hydrochloride is addictive just after a week of usage. Your body will acclimate to the dosage and before you know it you will be up to 30. The most I've ever seen anyone take at a time was 48. If you don't believe this take a morphine drip in place of your Imodium. The morphine works just as well and it also is an opiate. Look your drugs up first at rxlist.com. Check for fluoride or opiate in the ingredients. Oh and Xanax that's a no-no, the withdrawal symptoms from that can kill you. Best thing with opiates is go off slowly.
Take care.

How long does withdrawal take and how do you taper off?

WOW!!! I'm still amazed at how many people have stomach ulcers that don't realize that it's a bacterial infection that can be cured with a perscription from the doctor!?!?!?!? (it's H.Pylori btw).

These articles had open my eyes, my mom is addicted to Imodium and she dont even know it, she shakes and everithing else you guys describe here...

What is the best doctor to take her???

I couldn’t live my life with out Imodium, I don't care if it’s an opiate or not. I love the stuff. I’ve been taking three pills every morning for years. It keeps me regular. I’m just writing here to let everyone know that you can get the generic at Costco. You get 400 of the 2mg pills for around 6 bucks. It works just the same. And will save you a lot of money. I hope this helps 8-|

I have taken the Costco generic mentioed earlier in this thread for at LEAST 15 years. I take approximately 40 2 mg. caplets per day, 20 in morning, and 20 or more in the evening. All of my doctors are aware of it, and they all say "If it works, do it." I'm tired of "doing it" and am unable to get off the med. I even take it while in the hospital for orthopedic or other problems. Does anybody knoe how to quit it?