Hi, folks. My wife is pregnant. Since she is 38 years old and this is her first pregnancy, her gynecologist would like to do amniocentesis. I would like to know what happens during this procedure. Can anyone help with this piece of info? I would appreciate it. Thanks for answering, guys.

Hello. This test is an excellent way to find out whether a baby has any anomalies like spina bifida or Down syndrome. It is performed by inserting a hallow needle through the wall of the uterus. The position of the fetus is determined by ultrasound. Before the procedure, a skin of abdomen is rubbed. A topic anesthetic is given or injected into the abdomen skin. Then, a thin needle is inserted into the uterus. A small amount of fluid is taken. This fluid is in the sac and surrounds the fetus. Later, this fluid is analyzed. Bye!