Vacuum Aspiration/Dilation and Curetlage (D&C): up to 14 weeks after LMP

This surgical abortion is done early in the pregnancy up until 14 weeks after the woman’s last menstrual period. The cervical muscle is stretched with dilators (metal rods) until the opening is wide enough to allow the abortion instruments to pass into the uterus. Laminaria (thin sticks derived from plants) may also be inserted several hours before the procedure. A hand held syringe is attached to tubing that is inserted into the uterus and the baby is torn from the uterine wall and suctioned out into a collection bottle. If the baby is larger, the doctor will insert a loop-shaped steel knife into the uterus connected to the tubing of the suction machine. The knife cuts the baby’s body into pieces and the suction pulls the parts out of the uterus. The placenta is also scraped off the uterine wall with the knife

Dilation and Evacuation (D&E): 15 to 18 weeks after LMP

This surgical abortion is done during the second trimester of pregnancy. Because the developing fetus doubles in size between the eleventh and twelfth weeks of pregnancy, the body of the fetus is too large to be broken up by suction and will not pass through the suction tubing. In this procedure, the cervix must be opened wider than in a first trimester abortion. This is done by inserting laminaria a day or two before the abortion. After opening the cervix, the doctor twists and tears away parts of the baby with forceps. This continues until the entire baby is removed from the womb. The baby’s head needs to be crushed so it can be removed. The bones in the skull are so hard that they could cut the cervix upon removal.

Dilation and Extraction (D&X): 19 to 20 weeks after LMP

Also know as Partial-birth Abortion, this procedure takes three days. During the first two days, the cervix is dilated and medication is given for cramping. On the third day, the woman receives medication to start labor. After labor begins, the abortion doctor uses ultrasound to locate the baby’s legs. Grasping a leg with forceps, the doctor delivers the baby up to the baby’s head. At this point, the baby is alive and in most cases, the baby is able to survive outside the mother’s womb at the age of 23 weeks. Next, scissors are inserted into the base of the skull and the scissors blades are spread apart to create an opening. A suction catheter is placed into the opening and the brain is sucked out. The skull collapses and the baby is removed

An important scientific gathering was convened in October 1967 in Washington D.C. to decide this question. Medical professionals, biological scientists and authorities in the fields of law, ethics and the social sciences gathered together to settle the matter. This was the First International Conference on Abortion. The first major question considered was this: "When does human life begin?" And this is an important question, for we all know that we should not kill human beings. But when does an unborn child become a human being? At conception when the two cells unite, at birth forty weeks later, or at some point between the two?

Here was the decision of this group (composed of biochemists, professors of obstetrics and gynecology, geneticists, etc.):

"The majority of our group could find no point in time between the union of sperm and egg, or at least the blastocyst stage [shortly after fertilization, when twinning might occur] and the birth of the infant at which point we could say that this was not a human life. The changes occurring between implantation, a six-weeks embryo, a six months fetus, a one week-old child, or a mature adult are merely stages of development and maturation."—First International Conference on Abortion, Washington B.C., October 1967.

Abortions in the United States for rape, incest, to protect the life of the mother, or to void a defective fetus comprise less than five percent of all abortions. The rest are performed just for convenience. And we're talking about one million abortions a year.

Just another thought on the subject. I work in a pharmacy and I deal directly with CANCER patients on a daily basis, some in which the patients use METHOTREXATE as a chemotherapeutic agent.

I was reading and found out that they use METHOTREXATE in early term abortions, and I cannot for the life of me understand why. Here are some of the facts and drug warnings FOR THE PERSON TAKING METHOTREXATE..... this concerns me because from what I have studied over the years and seen with fellow colleagues.... if the incorrect dosage is administered, the results can be fatal for the patient.

Methotrexate interferes with the growth of certain cells of the body, especially cells that reproduce quickly, such as cancer cells, bone marrow cells, and skin cells.

Methotrexate is used to treat certain types of cancer of the breast, skin, head and neck, or lung. Methotrexate is also used to treat severe psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis.

Methotrexate is usually given after other medications have been tried without successful treatment of symptoms.
Methotrexate can cause serious or life-threatening side effects on your liver, lungs, kidneys, and bone marrow (immune system). Do not take this medication in larger amounts, or take it for longer than prescribed. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Do not use methotrexate to treat psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis if you have liver disease (especially if caused by alcoholism), a blood cell or bone marrow disorder, or if you are breast-feeding a baby. This medication can cause birth defects in an unborn baby. Do not use methotrexate to treat psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis if you are pregnant.

D&X is not used for later abortions.

THIS is from an abortion clinic that does abortions to 26-28 weeks...

15 To 19 Weeks - Three Day Outpatient Procedure
From 15 through 19 menstrual weeks, the patient comes in at her appointed time for her abortion and is given a preoperative analgesic and sedative medication. In the operating room, the laminaria are removed and the cervix checked for adequate dilation. The amniotic sac is then ruptured with instruments under direct ultrasound vision. The purpose of this maneuver is to release all the amniotic fluid to the extent possible. This prevents the patient from experiencing an amniotic fluid embolism, in which the amniotic fluid can enter the bloodstream and cause death or serious complications. Because amniotic fluid embolism (AFE) is one of the most dangerous possible complications of pregnancy and abortion, Dr. Hern developed the technique of preventing this complication from happening.

After that, the uterine contents are evacuated surgically by using forceps and other instruments placed into the uterus through the vagina and cervix. An intravenous infusion (IV) is in place at this time so that the physician can give medication quickly for pain and to give medication that causes the uterus to contract as the abortion is completed
20 to 26 Weeks - Four day outpatient procedure
Late second trimester patients receive all of their preoperative evaluation and consultation on the first day of their appointment, and return on the second day for the initial steps of the abortion procedure.

At 20 menstrual weeks and later, the first step in the abortion procedure on the second day of her appointment is an injection of medication into the fetus that will stop the fetal heart instantly. The patient is awake during this procedure, which is done under local anesthesia and with the use of direct ultrasound vision. The woman does not observe the fetus on the ultrasound screen in this process. The injection, done with strict attention to sterile technique, usually takes about ten minutes, although the appointment may take longer because of preparations that must be made.

Following the injection into the fetus, the first laminaria is placed in the cervix. The patient may leave at that time and must stay in Boulder unless arrangements are made for the patient to stay in a neighboring town.

On the third day, the late second trimester patient returns for a brief appointment, at which time the first laminaria is removed and more are placed under local anesthesia. This process permits maximum gentle dilation of the cervix over a two-day period.

On the fourth day, the patient returns for her abortion. Following observation of vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, and pulse), the laminaria are removed and a long-acting local anesthesia is again placed in the cervix. Under direct ultrasound vision, the amniotic membrane is ruptured so as to permit free flow of the amniotic fluid from the uterus. The amniotic fluid is drained as completely as possible.
Dr. Hern developed this technique for the following reasons:

• Removal of the amniotic fluid reduces if not eliminates the risk of amniotic fluid embolism (AFE), probably the most dangerous possible complication of late abortion.
Release of the amniotic fluid allows the uterus to contract and become firm, reducing the risk of perforation of the uterus with instruments.
Contraction of the uterus reduces blood loss.
Release of the amniotic fluid and contraction of the uterus enhances movement of the fetus and placenta into the cervix, the opening of the uterus, thereby adding safety and reducing discomfort of the procedure.
This maneuver permits the accurate measurement of blood loss, which is usually minimal. However, heavy bleeding may occur in late abortion, and it is absolutely necessary to know accurately the volume of this bleeding in order to guide fluid or blood replacement if this should become necessary.*
As with the earlier second trimester procedures (15-19 weeks), the later second trimester procedure (20-26 weeks) may require that the physician perform a surgical evacuation of the uterus ("dilation and evacuation" or "D & C") using instruments such as forceps to remove the fetus and placenta. All the other steps taken up to that point, such as use of laminaria, induced fetal demise, and medical induction, serve to enhance the safety of the late second trimester abortion procedure. The choice of procedures is dictated by the woman's safety needs at the time.
* Less than 1 in 2000 patients has needed a blood transfusion in second trimester and later abortions at Boulder Abortion Clinic.

D&X is simply not used for birth control abortions, only in select situations.

READ abortion clinic webistes, you will be educated on how THEY perform aboritons.

PL websites OBVIOUSLY do not know, because they do not perform them.

Hi Carifairy,
I must say, I have researched both PL and PC websites, and again, I have a very close friend whom of which her husband is and OBGYN. He has been and OBGYN for many years. Again, I believe the information I recieve to be true. I DONT indicate wether or not it is PL or PC website. I look for facts and things that are common sense.
Do you take ALL PL websites, if you view them to be ALL incorrect?
My belief is that you look at both sides of the story.
I wanted you ask you if you have read the book "Won by love"....from the woman in the Roe vs Wade case. This is a pretty eye opening book... things that some dont know about that are a bit on the scary side.
I wanted to ask you. If someone becomes a "friend" of yours and is PC, but then changes their ideas about truths, do you just "drop" them as being strange? I have noticed in your last couple of posts that you have NOT thought very much truth to be contained in PL websites. Is this true?
These issues arent about us, but the girls going through these issues that deserve to see both sides of the issue and make decisions for themselves, non biased and not for someone elses agendas.

Carifairy,
The book "Won by Love" is by Norma McCorvey. She is THE Jane Roe in the Roe vs. Wade case. When you start readiing this book, it is hard to put down. I believe this book shows honesty on both sides of the issue. You know I am not sure that research has been done UNBIASED on both sides. There were questions you didnt answer.

Abortion has changed a lot in the past 20 years.

If you do not perform them, you can be unaware of how they are done "now".

I know what your OB says.. But look at abortion clinic websites, they explain how they perform an abortion. This is up to date info from people who perform them regularly.

Many regular OB's are only familiar with L&D and D&X abortion because these are done for deformity, and many OB's do not perform abortions for any other reason.

YES, I have read many PL and PC books. I DIRECTLY assist with abortions, and personally feel no qualms in doing so. I understand WHY pl people feel the way that they do, but I do not agree.

I do not find a lot of truth in PL websites.

Saline abortions are commonly referenced, however, they are no longer performed due to the risks to the woman involved. Embolism, and unfinished abortion, were common negative effects of this type of later term abortion. I have seen PL sites reference this quite a bit, and of course there are many that STATE that they are no longer done.This confuses women though, and leads them to nowhere educationally.

How the procedures are performed is another issue that I have a lot of problems with.

We use suction ONLY for abortions up to 14(or so) weeks, no forcepts, and no scraping is used, yet mqany PL sites talk about 'scraping'. We have women come in afraid of being scraped, and we have to tell them that we only use suction.

ANOTHER issue.. MOST clinics and providers now use IV sedation, this can make for a painless abortion, sand usually does. We have women coming in that were told that it would be excruciating, and that ZERO anesthesia is used..

I believe in facts.

I know full well when d&x is used, when l&d is used, and we ALL should know that a fetus/baby is human.

The BIG issue for me is education, and how many PL groups lie about abortion to women.

I do not wish to talk anyone INTO or OUT OF an abortion, I supprt WHATEVER THE WOMAN WANTS.

She wants adoption, I have 6 adoption agency referrals I use, 4 are non religious for those that wish to remain out of religious talks. Just adoption..

Another is catholic, one is presbyterian.

Carifairy wrote:

I believe in facts.

She wants adoption, I have 6 adoption agency referrals I use, 4 are non religious for those that wish to remain out of religious talks. Just adoptio

Carifairy:
You said, from how I understand it, that you want education for these girls, dont you think they have the right to be able to research abortions from where they were in the beginning to where they are now? You purport how PL websited lie to women about these issues, but would you be willing to research and send these girls to REPUTABLE PL and PC websites to let the MAKE THEIR OWN CHOICE?

You said that people who are (basically) not performing the abortion or not there while it is done, can not understand how they are done now. Would you be willing to take someone into the room to watch ALLL of these procedures be done?
I work in Pharmacy directly. I guess that I could argue the point of "How could you give a woman Methotrexate to abort her baby if you arent DIRECTLY involved with all of the drug processes.

How would you purport TRULY caring about a woman and her CHOICES when you give her a drug that is directly used in treating CANCER ..... that if mistakenly given in the wrong the dosage.....could kill her. Do you think that if these women TRULY knew what they were taking (Methotrexate), and knew that it was in the Chemotherapeutic classification, that they would even injest such a thing? Do you tell them that it is a Chemotherapeutic agent and describe to them how it work on cancer cells?

What exactly do you see from the abortions that you perform? I would think you wouldnt be ashamed of telling our "audience" what you see with each trimester abortion, right?

You also referred to the women being FRIGHTENED about suction abortion, and how you didnt need to scrape.

Do you also tell them that after the suction abortion, if the abortion fails, that you would need to back in and SCRAPE the inside ....... otherwise the left over baby could cause them to have a septic or otherwise infection?

You speak of anesthesia..... alot of your young women arent aware of the extra cost of having anesthesa, are they? What if they cannot afford, do they have pain still?

Another question: in regards to REGULATIONS ON THE HEALTH/SAFETY/CLEANLINESS/PATIENT RIGHTS IF PHYSICALLY HARMED/REGULATIONS,.....is it true that a Veterinary clinic is held to a higher standard? Would you be willing to post REPUTABLE websties BOTH PC AND PL on these FACTUAL statistics?

I think we need to step aside and let these girls DECIDE FOR THEMSELVES.

I was looking up a saline abortion online ON MANY DIFFERENT SITES...here is what I found along with a young lady who was a survivor of a saline abortion, and how wonderful her life is today.

Oh, is it true that some abortionist often jokingly refer to saline abortion babies as "candy apple babies"?

A needle is inserted through the abdomen to remove amniotic fluid. A strong salt solution is then injected, which poisons the fetus and badly burns the lungs and skin. The child is usually delivered within 24 hours. This method is rarely used any more, since it can present serious, even fatal risks to the mother.
n..

Saline in high concentration-enough to abort a child-is toxic. It burns soft tissues, even skin. In the womb, unborn babies are accustomed to opening their mouths and routinely drink of the amniotic fluid that surrounds them. Upon ingestion the saline attacks soft membrane tissues along the digestive tract. As pertaining to its toxicity in the body, it can cause seizures and hemorrhaging of the brain and other organs. It is an awful way to die and can take several hours.
Otherwise known as "saline amniocentesis," "salting out," or a "hypertonic saline" abortion, this technique is used after 16 weeks of pregnancy, when enough fluid has accumulated in the amniotic fluid sac surrounding the baby.

A needle is inserted through the mother’s abdomen and 50-250 ml (as much as a cup) of amniotic fluid is withdrawn and replaced with a solution of concentrated salt. [53] The baby breathes in, swallowing the salt, and is poisoned.[54] The chemical solution also causes painful burning and deterioration of the baby’s skin. [55] Usually, after about an hour, the child dies. The mother goes into labor about 33 to 35 hours after instillation and delivers a dead, burned, and shriveled baby. [56] About 97% of mothers deliver their dead babies within 72 hours.[57]

Hypertonic saline may initiate a condition in the mother called "consumption coagulopathy" (uncontrolled blood clotting throughout the body) with severe hemorrhage as well as other serious side effects on the central nervous system. [58] Seizures, coma, or death may also result from saline inadvertently injected into the woman’s vascular system.[59]
Gianna Jessen

My name is Gianna Jessen?I was aborted, and I did not die. My biological mother was 7 months pregnant when she went to Planned Parenthood in southern California, and they advised her to have a late-term saline abortion.

A saline abortion is a solution of salt saline that is injected into the mother's womb. The baby then gulps the solution. It burns the baby inside and out, and then the mother is to deliver a dead baby within 24 hours.

This happened to me! I remained in the solution for approximately 18 hours and was delivered ALIVE?in a California abortion clinic. There were young women in the room who had already been given their injections and were waiting to deliver dead babies. When they saw me the abortionist was not yet on duty and had me transferred to the hospital

Hizgrace71

Not true hisgrace...

IF the abortion fails we do a "RE-SUCTION", in the past 5 years we have had very few failures.

We do an ultrasound afterwards to ensure that all fetal tissue and placenta is removed.

90% of our patients for surgical abortions come back for their follow up with us.

Anesthesia IS included in the cost of our abortions, and 99% of women choose it at our clinic. A few do not like anesthesia or sedation, so they can choose to go without.

I WOULD LOVE to take someone into a room so that they can watch an abortion being performed. I would volunteer my 'womanly' privacy for someone to have watched my abortion. I am actually quite frustrated that there are not MORE US movies which show an abortion. We show boob jobs, and everything else..I know that women may feel sense of privacy about their abortion, their 'private areas', but some women may volunteer to be taped.

Do you tell them that it is a Chemotherapeutic agent and describe to them how it work on cancer cells?

We explain what the drug IS, we also exlain why we use this drug for MEDICAL abortions, which we do fewer of than surgical. It is an OFF label use. MTX is ALSO used to dissolve ectopic pregnancy, which we use them for as well. We offer MORE than abortions, BTW. WE offer GYN care for a variety of illnesses.

Each STATE has their own regulations, NJ has some of the most LAX reg's that I have seen. You can easily find each states own regulations by looking online for a bit, usually they are wth the department of health. Many states, like my own, are strict, and require abortion clinics to be LICENSED ambulatory surgery centers. The standards for this cert are quite high, and quite good. I would personally never want an abortion anywhere that was gross and nasty, so I do not approve of LAX regulations.
Like I said, each INDIVIDUAL state is unique, so their regulations are going to be unique as well.

Saline abortion was a 'take' on L&D induction abortion, we do have induction abortions nowadays, but they are done for fetal anomaly. The woman may want to hold a baby, and l&d offers this.

This is what an early abortion looks like, when done with manual vacuum aspiration. This is at 4-5 weeks.
allwomensclinic.com/images/evapics.jpg

This looks about right, so I tend to link it a lot. Most aboritons up to 12 weeks look like blood, blood clots, and some whiteish tissue.

You do not see parts until 13-14 weeks. Suction abortion is suction, and it breaks apart the pregnancy, so you do see parts, but they are soft and pliable because the bones have not hardened yet.

Abortions at 16-20 weeks obviously have larger parts, you can visually see some things, but the suction does liquify and tear apart the pregnancy, so nothing is really 'together'.

I have no problem talking openly and honestly about abortion, what I see, and what I do.

I know about Mrs Jessen, I have read that book, I read many books.

Please - there are seperate forums for Pro Life supporters, and this is for a reason. This part of the forum is for people who want to know more information about an impending abortion, not to be preached at. Every woman deserves a choice, we have the freedom to make our own decisions. If abortion is what a woman feels is right at that point in time then she has every right to do what she feels is best, for her own health, mentally and physically, and also for the sake of another life. Many women find themselves in these situations and are very scared, I know I was. Mistakes happen, and no one has the right to judge others in a way that some pro life groups do.

Guest wrote:

Hi Guest,
I dont consider this a "preaching" effort. I consider these to be facts. That is the beauty of this country. Everyone is able to speak their opinions (respectfully of course). As I have posted in this several times, It is not for me to place judgement on others at all. I think that wether a person "claims" Pro Life or Pro Choice, is not the issue. Every woman has the right and ability to read facts from each angle PC or PL. It is for them to make that choice.

Is it my understanding that you believe some Pro Life groups judge others? It is not for them to judge. It is not anyones job to judge or condemn others for their "choices". Not at all, but I do believe as a woman, that each and every woman deserves to know the truth from both sides.

You know, honestly, I think judgement comes from both sides in many degrees. I TOTALLY agree with you that their place is not to judge, but to educate women.

A good book that shows BOTH sides of the PL PC issue is "Won By Love" by Norma McCorvey THE Jane Roe in the Roe V. Wade case. Its one that is hard to put down.

Many Blessings to You,
Hizgrace

Icebreaker wrote:

D&X is not used for later abortions.

what is the name of this clinic and where is it located?

Hizgrace4all wrote:

oh my goodness I had no idea how horrible the process of an abortion really was.I now see why they say its murder! If your raped then put it up for adoption!!

I had a few questions about the topic

In the late seventies I had a second trimester termination in Oakland ca. As described in your post it was a three day procedure to this day I've often wondered what happened on the last day of the procedure when all was done I was in recovery room and I began to feel like I was freezing and I think I began to convulse shaking several nurses and the doctor came and gave me an injection and I remember thinking I was dying then I woke up and they said it's time to go I was so sick and weak I was wondering if you might know what was happening on that day I look back and can't believe I did that I'm still trying to forgive myself for doing that but there were many things to consider back then..I don't know what they did after that injection they put a warm cloth or something on me and I passed out what do u think .?

Put "it" up for adoption? No a very "pro-life" stance.