Hello. I have a friend that is 38 years old and she is pregnant. Her pregnancy is all right for now, but her obstetrician would like to make an examination called amniocentesis. I would like to know who need this examination and why my friend needs it. Thanks for all your replies. Bye!

Hello. Amniocentesis is a diagnostic procedure. It is performed by inserting a hollow needle through the uterus. A small amount of amniotic fluid is sucked and then examined. It is mostly used to determine whether there are genetic disorders within the baby. It is especially valid for Down’s syndrome, spina bifida, anencephaly and some rare metabolic disorders. I guess your friend’s pregnancy is first and she is in age when first pregnancy can bring risk for the baby. I think her obstetrician just wanted to exclude genetic disorders in time. I hope this helps. Please, let me know what you find out. Bye!