Hello, good people. My cousin is pregnant. Since this is her first pregnancy and she is not so young, doctors would like to make a routine check up for genetic disorders within her baby such as Down syndrome. I would like to know whether this is possible to be done with amniocentesis. Thanks for all replies.

Hello. Amniocentesis is a procedure that is excellent for discovering Down syndrome. This test is usually done in 15th week of gestation. A hollow needle is used and placed through the wall of the uterus. Cells that are collected are investigated for chromosomal abnormalities. This method can also be used for discovering some structural abnormalities such as spina bifida. The risk of miscarriage within this method is one per 200. I hope the test will be negative within your cousin. Let me know how it went. Good luck!